Sudden fatal error

Hello,

I was just working with BuddyPress profile fields in the backend when I get an email from Sucuri telling me there’s been a fatal error.

The error doesn’t happen for me as a logged in admin, but when trying to open my website in a new browser I get this:

Fatal error: print_r(): Cannot use output buffering in output buffering display handlers in /home/wildworld/public_html/wp-content/plugins/s2member/src/includes/classes/utils-logs.inc.php on line 76

Any idea how that happen or how to fix it? It’s pretty urgent, as no one are able to enter my site right now…

Thanks!
Havard

Are you using some sort of caching? Are you out of memory?

Thanks for getting back to me.

Maybe I was out of memory, but I’m not sure… For some reason the error is gone now though… I am not sure why.

Hello again…

So, trying to restore my site after this error gave me a few days of pain and broken databases… However… It’s back up now but the error remains. When I though it was fixed last, it was fixed for logged in users… But for everyone else you get this error… It’s not a memory issue, that’s been checked now. How could it be a caching issue? I’m not technical about these things, so really wouldn’t know what would cause this.

If it’s fixed for logged-in users but not for others, it’s very likely to be a caching issue. Turn off any caching plugins and other caching stuff, like Varnish, and see what happens.

Okay, I just turned off my caching plugin and paused Cloudflare… The error still remains.

Have a look:
https://wildworldcommunity.com

Try to replace the s2M - download it from the s2M site, delete old files and upload new ones by FTP. May be a broken file somewhere, that generates a “chain error”, and we see “the explosion” somewhere else…

I’ve now deactivated and removed s2member and will upload a new one. I’m in the middle of transferring a website to a server on FileZilla, so might take a while until I get to the s2member upload… It’s on queue though…

What I think is weird is, after I deleted and removed s2member, I still get the exact same error message. Now, I see in FileZilla that s2member-files, -logs, and -pro is still there though… Could that be a cause for it? Should I remove them? Where can I get -files and -logs from? I have the -pro folder downloaded.

Okay… So, now I’ve reuploaded the plugin and the pro add-on. That didn’t do anything. Now I have deactivated all the plugins (even s2member) and activated a standard wordpress theme… And the error persists…

This is really weird…

Tim, you were right! It was my caching plugin, WP Rocket, that was the culprit all along.

It was all confusing cause Cloudflare kept caching the site when I deactivated WP Rocket, and thus kept showing the error. It wasn’t until everything was off and all caches cleared on Cloudflare I managed to figure it out.

Thanks for getting me on the right track!

Great!

You might want to take a look at this thread: WP-Rocket is not compatible with s2Member

Yes WP Rocket is a number one way to cripple your membership and just as an update they still have not responded on a fix for me. Worst money I have yet spent on plugins, I do not think they know how to do support at this point.

Ross.

Hi,

I was working for the monthly maintenance for our site and after I updated all the plugins (except for s2member for it is Pro and has auto update) the shortcodes from Welcome Page appeared on the inner pages as shown in the image below. The innerpage has its own content as has no restriction. And as I checked on the error log I got the errror “PHP Fatal error: print_r(): Cannot use output buffering in output buffering display handlers in /home/dlxteams17/public_html/wp-content/plugins/s2member/src/includes/classes/utils-logs.inc.php on line 76”. I have already disabled the caching plugin that I used which is WP Fastest Cache but still it doesn’t fix the issue I am facing.

Any idea on how can I fix it? I wish to hear it from you guys.

Thanks,
Grace

Grace, are you sure that all caching is turned off? As Havard’s experience illustrates, it’s sometimes hard to be sure. For example, does your host run something like Varnish or Cachewall, or some sort of object caching?