S2 pro not showing up

Using ftp I’ve installed the unzipped file and have this path as instructed: /wp-content/plugins/s2member-pro/pro-module.php

I did this while s2member free was installed and activated… when nothing changed I deactivated and reactivated and still nothing - message in plugin window says this:

s2Member, a powerful (free) membership plugin for WordPress. Protect/secure members only content with roles/capabilities.

Version 170221 | By s2Member / WebSharks, Inc. | Visit plugin site

Help? What have I missed?

Thanks

Okay, I’ve found the problem(s)

I didn’t have the path specified… I do now and I’m getting a msg. about needing to upgrade. I’m going to do that now… will come back and report either success or a new problem. Thanks for your patience with me…

1 Like

got this message… did I read somewhere we have to ftp these too? sigh.

Unpacking the package…

Installing the plugin…

Destination folder already exists. /home/writiof0/public_html/gettingyourbookwritten/wp-content/plugins/s2member/

Plugin install failed.

You don’t have to FTP updates to the Pro module.

I suggest that you check the version of s2Member that says it’s installed on the list of plugins and report that back here.

Is this what you mean, the text beside the plugin listing?

s2Member Framework
Settings | Deactivate | Edit
s2Member, a powerful (free) membership plugin for WordPress. Protect/secure members only content with roles/capabilities.

Version 170221 | By s2Member / WebSharks, Inc. | Visit plugin site

I also have this message: In order to load the s2Member Pro Add-on, you need the s2Member Framework, v170524+. It’s free.

OK. The first issue here is that your version of the free plugin is out of date. So you need to update that. Then we’ll see if the Pro version, which is the right one, works.

Okay… just fyi it’s not showing needing an update in wp… should it be? Off to find it.

Okay, I don’t know where to find the update you refer too… Tim… thanks for being there… please tell me where/how.

A

Anne,

s2Member should be showing up as s2Member Framework Version 170524. If that’s not what you’re seeing, you should have an update nag unless you have something installed to turn updates off. (That wouldn’t be anything to do with s2Member directly, but might be via another plugin.)

I’ll check, and if I don’t find anything does it make sense to deactivate all plugins except s2member and see if it shows up?

or would it make better sense to deactivate and delete the free version and just start over with the pro… I’d lose settings, but though I’d rather not it’s not the end of the world… not until I have members and run into something like this. Meanwhile I’m googling to see if I can find out what might turn off the nags.

Not really. I’m just asking about what you see in your list of plugins. None of the others should affect this unless it’s specifically designed to block update nags (so it would have a name including something like Block or Disable something).

no, I like the nags… keeps me current - I haven’t deliberately disabled them and I don’t see any that could. I did find a couple of plugins that could be used that way, but as you say, they say so and I don’t have them.

OK. Then what I’d do is this.

Go into s2Member, and go to General Options -> Protection Deletion Safeguards and check that is set to Yes. If not, change it to yes and scroll to the bottom to Save.

Then deactivate and delete s2Member. Then add it again by searching in Add Plugin. Then activate it and see what it say in the list of your plugins.

okay… I’ll do that and come back and let you know… I’m also going to fix myself something to eat… getting stupid, so it will be awhile. I’d love to get it handled today, but… I understand we may not.

Tim, assuming you mean Plugin Deletion Options - the only thing I can find that’s close to your title, it was set to ‘yes’

What else can we try?

Yes, that’s what I meant. So go ahead and delete s2Member and then reinstall it.

ok… thanks for trying to avoid that option