Popup when clicking restricted link/button

Hi,

I’ve gone through all the ways you can restrict content with s2member and the list of ways it can be done is very impressive. See here: https://s2member.com/kb-article/configuring-s2member-restriction-options/

What that page doesn’t go over is what actually happens when someone for example clicks a restricted link, and what the options are. Where can I find that info?

Instead of taking the user to a signup page each time they click a restricted link/feature on the site (which I guess is the default, and isn’t very user friendly if you have a lot of restricted content/features linked to on the public side) I would like to trigger a popup, ideally similar to the one below where it appears “from the button”.

If that particular style of pop up isn’t possible, any pop up that keeps the user on the same page is better than sending them to a different page that informs them that the feature/content they tried to access is restriced.

Is this possible?

You can have whatever you want on your Membership Options Page. Therefore, you can have the top of the Page say “Already a Member?” with a link to log in or (if you are using s2Member Pro) you can include a login form on the MOP itself.

Then you can have your Membership signup or links to different options on the bottom of the page.

FYI, most users do not find pop-ups “user-friendly”. That is why most browsers block them by default. They are blocked and never show up. They misbehave and pop-up behind the other 10 applications open on a user’s desktop. Since they are modal, the user is left wondering wth just happened. This is not a good thing.

If you insist on a pop-up, you could always use a plugin to show a pop-up whenever the MOP is accessed (I’m sure one exists), but again, that is not user-friendly.

1 Like

Hi Jedishark,

Thanks for your reply.

I think you misunderstood what I’m trying to achieve. I guess I shouldn’t have used the word “pop up” (too many bad connotations).

But if you look at the image I included in my post I’m sure you can agree that a message that appears (p*ps *p) like that when the button is clicked, is more user-friendly than taking the user to an entirely different page that they then have to click the back button from if they want to continue on the page they came from.

Putting it in a different way; instead of people being constantly taken to the signup page, I want to be able to give them a “forewarning” that this feature/content is restricted.

So from what I gather there’s no built in feature that supports this then, but it might be possible using some third-party plugin. Please correct me if I got it wrong.

Actually, no, it isn’t, for all the reasons that @JediShark gave you.

What you have described is the epitome of a pop-up, and it’s a real pain for users. As someone who has lately been spending much of my time re-coding sites to make them fully accessible to people with disabilities, I will also add that such popups are a total nightmare for anyone unable to use a mouse. (Whereas a blind user, for example, has no difficulty using the Back button, despite what you say.)

The only popups I consider acceptable are those that replace browser alerts, because they make such alerts consistent across all browsers. But, even then, I’d expect them to be coded with accessibility in mind.