Object Caching still not compatible?

I know the old recommendation from Jason says to disable any object caching, but I’m wondering if that’s still the case.

Is anyone using Redis or Memcached to cache db queries? I use that for all my non-s2 sites and would like to use the same server stack for all of the sites since I’m upgrading them all right now.

I’m wondering if object caching back then meant something different than caching db queries in memory now or if it’s that s2 still doesn’t purge entries.

@clavaque Any thoughts or future plans here?

s2Member stores details about users in the options table of the database. While it continues to do that, it’s not going to be possible to use object caching reliably. This is actually the reason that, after many years, I finally stopped using s2Member and wrote my own custom code for my use cases.

Thanks for jumping in. I remember you from these forums in the past.

Oh well. I can migrate too, but it’s not worth it for the sites I have that still use s2, which are in topics that aren’t so popular anymore. Anything new gets something else anyway.

I don’t need object caching on them, but it would be nice to have, especially for my own selfish reasons just to speed up the admin a bit.