S2Member and LiteSpeed Question

I was just wanting to get some feedback on if S2Member runs on LiteSpeed?

Has anyone tried running with LiteSpeed instead of Apache2? My site was built with Apache2 but I am in the process of building a new web server and was looking at this as an option. Also are there any issues with LSCache? S2Member has been rock solid and I’d like to speed things up but not if it causes problems.

Thanks for any feedback,
Ross

1 Like

I’m running on OLS without object caching.

1 Like

I’d be interested in any performance benchmarks that were put together. Ideally with the same hardware and OS version, just to get a better idea of the difference between the web servers.

1 Like

Hi bopters

Do you define not using the object caching on a per-site base? I have a Ubuntu server that hosts 15 sites, one is S2Memeber. I’m thinking of adding OLS to my server so I can speed up the other sites. I’m guessing you can run apache2 and LiteSpeed side by side if you want.

I do have another two quick questions that are not S2Memeber related for you. Are you using CyberPanel? If so, do you like it?

Thanks,
Ross

I always do one VPS per site (or one VPS plus a managed database per site) and haven’t run CyberPanel. I manage my servers via ssh.

Not sure how powerful your server is, but I’d be concerned about adding another process with so many sites already. My very first S2member site (over a decade ago) started out on shared hosting, and I needed to move to a VPS within months because I was running out of server resources for Paypal IPN notifications (this was before Stripe was supported).

You can enable/disable object caching per WP site in the LiteSpeed Cache plugin. I’m not quite sure I’m sold on OLS yet, but the stack gives a lot of features that are typically in paid WordPress plugins, which is why I wanted to try it.

The last detailed benchmark between OpenLiteSpeed vs Apache HTTP Server vs Nginx was from two years ago. It’s worth reading.

https://blog.herecura.eu/blog/2020-06-16-openlitespeed-vs-apache-vs-nginx/

Anyone have any newer benchmarking data?

Hi Bobters,

Sorry for such a long delay, I got distracted by some internal data center stuff and abandoned this project for a while. I am on a VPS with DO and it has 2CPUs and 4GBs of RAM. I am back at looking at this again to see if they have since updated it to support higher versions of Ubuntu. Monitoring shows I have never hit 80% on CPU and 62% on RAM, it only hits high utilization on full website backups and I have them staggered in the middle of the night.

There are currently 5 domains running, 4 Woo sites, and one s2Member, all powered on Apache2. I am going to build a new server today and then test it out with CyberPanel to see if I like it.

Thanks for responding,
Ross

I did try Cyberpanel since I responded, but I highly disliked how its automated backups upload to remote storage. It just didn’t feel safe enough for my liking. I was hosting a few sites: a development site for me and two for family members I was trying to introduce to having websites. The family members lost interest and I needed more power for my dev site (I think this thread encouraged me to try less server power).

Now I use Runcloud’s OLS stack for all of my WP sites, still one per server. I could do the server management myself, but being able to launch a server through the RunCloud interface and have it spin it up and then be able to clone an application from an existing server AND update the DNS records in Cloudflare through its API is well worth the money spent in my opinion.

Your server specs are about the minimum I’d use for a low-traffic site, but my Woo sites typically need a lot more. I have one that uses Sensei LMS on a 32 GiB, 8 vCPU DO General Purpose droplet and could probably get by the next one down, but that makes the admin too slow for my liking even though it’s fine for end users because all the admin queries aren’t run for them. And that’s with lots of indexes added to the db to reduce query time, and the removal of the slower queries via hooks that I never look at that typically occur when you load the admin.

And just for development for another Sensei site (the one mentioned above), I’m using a 16 GiB, 4 vCPU General Purpose DO droplet because I found saving content took too long and it was taking too much of my time.

Of course, both these sites are plugin-heavy, which seems to always be the case with Woo sites that also serve as marketing sites with many automated actions thrown in. And the more plugins, the more duplicate queries, unnecessary queries, and non-optimized queries you get per page load. LiteSpeed Cache with object caching helps with duplicate queries, but S2 doesn’t support it, unfortunately.

I did try the first site using the RunCloud NGINX stack, but found that at least one plugin relied on .htaccess and the plugin’s conf file suggestion broke another plugin, so back to OLS it was. And RunCloud made changing back easy.