New European regulation for online payments with Stripe

Oh, I think I understand what you mean…

The previous implementation was using the old Stripe Checkout modal to collect the payment info. It also made it possible to collect billing address, although it wasn’t required for the payment. That Checkout wasn’t SCA ready.

That is the modal that you complained added an extra step and would prefer removed. The new implementation doesn’t use the new Checkout with SCA support (which now is different and can’t be implemented that same way).

I now used Stripe’s Elements, which puts the card field inline, without the extra steps of clicking the button for the modal, then saving that, before submitting the payment form.

Elements doesn’t have billing address collection, because it’s not required for payment.

I don’t consider the integration broken. Payments are collected successfully, with SCA covered.

I will look into how to add those fields separately, though, to help those that rely on Stripe for billing.

Well the current taxation is not usable in any country - the information gathered is simply dropped, without storing proof who is gonna believe you later about customer location? Even the USA now has sales tax nexus in most states and requires any kind of E-services to collect billing address. EU, Australia, new Zealand, Japan, Russia and many other countries too. Invoices are mandatory in most countries and without address.

Before there was also the possibility to get billing address via the stripe popup. But you removed that too off course.

So I do consider s2member without billing address collection broken for production.

Custom fields could be used to collect address, but they Are not recognised with the corresponding fields at Stripe so also not usable. Cannot be hard to get the billing address to stripe, either by forwarding the current fields or by adding the Stripe address collection into the checkout again

I sent you guys a new update. This one adds the billing address to the Stripe customer when taxes are enabled in s2.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry - I can now additionally see another field - but the address is not arriving at Stripe.
If working in first Screenshot - instead of Address - there would be the Zip Code

And here in the second screenshot it would show the address under billing_details.
address2

Those are the required fields - as 3rd party tools like quaderno.io or other invoicing/billing/shipping systems would look for.

(and yes I know - the zip code for the credit card verification is something completely different. If that is enabled the customer would be asked twice for zip-code. Once for credit card, once for address.

Actually that brings me to a second thought - I think we would need the name fields again for the credit card, or am I incorrect?

Credit cards usually require the name to be correct. However sometimes (for my website like 5-10%) people use their husbands/wife/parents credit card. Then they need to be able to enter their own name, and the name on the credit card. At least in Europe usually websites ask you once for name of account owner - and then again for the name of the credit card owner.

Plus another thing - not sure how useful with google checkout and so on - Stripe used to have the remember me checkbox - so people can store their credit card for future purchases with Stripe. Has this been removed? I think I prefer not to use it anyhow - just wondering.

here is a screenshot from the old s2member implementation - note depending on the implementation, instead of just the postal code also the full address could show up here:

And here the billing address
address5

I only asked for city and postcode (but actually the city got entered into the state field). I did not ask customers for street/housenumber as I don’t need to do that (sales only up to 100€, so simplified invoices are possible - if over 200-300€ then usually street would be a must too, but city and postal code are essential to correctly calculate taxes, as quite a few countries have different tax rates based on the region and that can be identified by the postal code. Not sure about us, maybe town vs city is important there - but I am below the nexus for all states (and will have to refund/return any payment from those non EU countries/states in the US which want to have VAT from the 1.st sale without nexus - Avalara is a great resource to understand VAT )

but the address is not arriving at Stripe
Those are the required fields

As I mentioned in the private message, I added the address to the customer, not the payment method. I see that the charge is getting the billing details from the payment method, not the customer, and your tool gets it from the charge, not the customer. Got it.

I’ll work on that.

here is a screenshot from the old s2member implementation
I only asked for city and postcode

The old implementation, with the Stripe Checkout modal, did ask for the street address and state, not just the city. And you were using the s2 tax fields, right? Those are country, state and postal code.

Yesterday I added street and city to the tax section and named it billing address. At this moment I will not add flexibility to have this or that field show up and be required or not. I can’t skip the state field, without now having to change the taxes part of s2.

I will make tax and UI improvements later, but they’re not required at the moment for the Stripe payments to work. I really want to make the new release for those waiting for the new Stripes SCA implementation.

To remove the street and state, you could probably write some JS to add a default value to those fields, and hide them from the form, so they aren’t seen and don’t give an error on submit.

1 Like

I couldn’t find the address at the customer either… Where would it be?

Screenshot_2019-10-10%20Dashboard%20%E2%80%93%20Cristi%C3%A1n%20L%C3%A1vaque%20%E2%80%93%20Stripe%20%5BTest%5D

Also in the customer’s page, under Billing Information, e.g.: https://dashboard.stripe.com/test/customers/cus_Fx8QwGOkjOXUV8

Okay I will check if it’s working with quaderno.io at the moment. Haven’t had any non PayPal payment so far today

1 Like

Nope - I really need the address added to the billing address. And I cannot find the address info - your link is not working. And in the payment that I see under customer billing information - it says no details:

cut here to hide customer email address
billing1

and here - same as yours I think but empty:

Maybe you use another version than the one you gave us for download?
The last version I got from you is labeled 08 October - not 09 or 10… I think I’m missing the last version…

No, you had the last one, the one I used for the screenshot I showed you.

Anyway, I just sent you a new beta. This one adds the address to the payment method, and shows up in the charge too.

Screenshot_2019-10-10%20Dashboard%20%E2%80%93%20Cristi%C3%A1n%20L%C3%A1vaque%20%E2%80%93%20Stripe%20%5BTest%5D(2)

:wink:

1 Like

Sorry - for me it’s still not there. It seems like my version is always one version older than yours. Because now it shows up at the customer but not at the billing_details.

Payment Method - still empty:

Event data - still empty billing address:

Charge succeeded - also empty billing address:

Here we go - customer profile has address added under Billing Information:

Quaderno.io does not find it this way (also on real payments - was just easier to use the identical format from the test data.

Size: 2950300 bytes (2881 KiB)
SHA256: C8550871C1B46D646DEB3F03EF4D0AF860DF46B34E191A8726FE130C3D5B2ED2

I do think I’m one version behind yours.

It looks like the link I sent you before was wrong. I copied it from the browser, but it didn’t copy, so I was left in the clipboard with the URL to an older version… Very sorry about that.

I just sent you a link to a new one, v191011. I polished and tested how the postal code fields interact when both, the Stripe zip code verification and s2’s tax billing address, are enabled in the form.

1 Like

Thanks - just tried it out in test-mode and all looks perfect AFAI can see. Also nice to have the Zip automatically added for zip code verification.

I was kinda pulling my hair out with the old version… (still haven’t had any new user pay using Stripe to see if autoptimize problem is gone or not with the API emails).

2 Likes

Looks like we are getting close to the finish line with the update.
Thanks again Cristian,
Trojan effort!

Im looking forward to getting my hands on it so that I can rebuild my customer base again.
I have been holding off for a while now until the update comes out.

PS:
I have noticed that alot of other payment plugins are having the same delays and frustrations with getting up to speed with the new regulations.
You may be one of the first to get your platform on line with the new regs.
Well done,
sounds like it could be a selling point for you for a while at least.

Thanks Cristian.
Enda.

2 Likes

please see here - I think there are some more bugs with the current beta:

Also I think the lazy load is not working correctly anymore. Stripe resources should only be loaded on checkout page - not on every page… This really slows down loading times (even though page is fully visible before…)

1 Like

That’s the recommendation from Stripe, that stripe.js is added to the head of every page of the site, not just the checkout one. See: https://stripe.com/docs/web/setup#setup