Existing user buys different membership by mistake

hi Cristián et al,

I have the situation where my public facing purchase membership pages can of course be seen by existing members. Now, when an existing member chooses to buy one of these (different) memberships, this appears to be permitted and for this transaction to be handled automatically as a payment modification.

Having only just noticed this, I haven’t explored all the various permutations. However, a couple of questions spring quickly to mind and I wondered how others have dealt with this situation, or indeed if there is a recommended way to deal with this?

Questions: does s2 auto-downgrade or auto-upgrade in response? If yes, what is the point of having explicit upgrade/downgrade path/forms? If not, then s2 needs to present an informative (error/warning) message, saying something like “to MODIFY your existing account please go to the UPGRADE/DOWNGRADE page”.

Thoughts welcome, and many thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions/feedback.

R.

I only have one checkout.
Within that checkout I wrap the codes.
And within that I use S2 if statements.
I do the same with any pricing tables or special offers too. I hide them/show them from people with if statements

1 Like

ok, so I was curious as to whether s2 was smart enough to block the unexpected attempt at a dual-subscription. This topic suggested s2 would not accept the parallel subscription:

no concurrent subscriptions

Apparently it’s not as simple as I’d assumed. That’s ok, I can handle it manually, it’s just not as safe as I’d thought.

Right, no concurrent subscriptions with the same WP user account, but it doesn’t prevent the person from creating a second user account.

What would happen if the person enters the same email address he used for the first account, though, is that he’ll get a warning about it already being in use. Maybe then he’ll realize he needs to login.

It’s best to have some reminder for existing users to login first. All payments while logged out go towards a new account, and while logged in to the existing account.

And for logged in users, have some conditionals that will customize the options he sees.

:slight_smile: