Error with Paypal Auto-Return URL

Yeah, that error should not be there at all when the custom value is the correct one…

so where exactly should I disable the auto return feature? in paypal? or is there a particular area in s2member i need to go to to disable it?

Payment data transfer (optional)
Payment data transfer allows you to receive notifications of successful payments when they are made. The use of payment data transfer depends on your system configuration and your Return URL. Please note that in order to use payment data transfer, you must turn on auto return.

It says in paypal “Please note that in order to use payment data transfer, you must turn on auto return.”…

Does this mean that if I turn the auto return feature off in paypal, then paypal will not tell s2member that a successful transaction has taken place and inherently not issue registration emails to customer?

If you remove that PDT token from your set up which i think you mean is turn off auto return in paypal, which will turn off payment data transfer feature along with it, how will paypal notify s2member of successfully paid subscribed customers, and also when customers cancel re-occuring payments how will s2member receive this information?.. doesn’t it need that token to write to s2member, or is that all setup in the paypal button code?

We launch tomorrow evening (sunday 6 jan)… if we can be spared those error messages with a fully functioning system it would be great

I meant to say auto-return URL from my setup, I got confused when typing from looking at them together. Sorry about that.

I can’t remove the URL, though… Even if I don’t set it in PayPal, s2Member sets it on a transaction basis…

Hmm…

So you’re about to launch. If you want me to, I’ll be happy to take a look at your installation. Since I can’t get the error in mine, I’ll be glad to look at one that does.

You can send me privately the WP and FTP credentials.

1 Like

Just fyi

I added the ‘fix’ suggested by WarpConduit earlier in the thread (The php code that begins ‘sleep(3);’)

Today someone tried to subscribe to my site, donated with paypal and upon returning to my site they were served a standard ‘403 forbidden’ page.

They emailed me about the error - by the time I read it, they had received another email from s2m informing them their account had been activated, and it seems to be OK.

We have this issue also and have been using s2member for years without a hitch. Tried everything to no avail and our website relies on this working well. Jumping on here in hopes for a fix…no idea what’s going on!

Hi guys, having the same issue here. Im having the latest version of WP, no conflict with plugins as I already tested it, latest s2meber framevork installed (free version), server configuration tested as suggested and all green checkmarks…

The only issue I may think of is that you requre https for IPN in s2member plugin and PayPal IPN still accept http. In my case, website is http and I set up http link in PayPal IPN. Everything works correctly beside this redirection message.

S2member sends confirmation email with registration link, it registers user, gives privileges, cancel status if subscription is canceled etc. So everything works correctly except return message after purchase.

My solution was to change default-return.php file in s2member/src/includes/templates/returns and put continue tag instead of response.
I know that it is not the best solution but at least I got rid of that annyoing message and users are redirected to Homepage instead of presenting error. Beside that, everything else works fine. I wrote explanation to my users to check emails after purchase and from there on everything works as it should.

Waiting for the fix and hope it will come soon. It is obviously conflict between PP and s2member.

PS.
I tried fix with paypal-return-in.inc.php and it didnt work.
I cannot use “success” tag with “thankyoupageurl” inside button because it would require to change more than hundred buttons which already exist on the website, so this is not solution for me.

I think one of the solutions would be to provide option to customize this return message for people who are getting this issue. Everything works perfectly, just this error message interupts the flow.

Hi Milan, how do you change the default-return file? I need some kind of solution until a fix is found. Thanks!

Hi Bob… You must connect to your hosting via FTP or through cPanel and then go to /public_html/wp-content/plugins/s2member/src/includes/templates/returns
You will find default-return.php file in there. Open it, find where is written %%response%% and just change it with %%continue%%

This means that instead of showing response messages it will just direct you to homepage of the website.

Hope this helps just until they release the fix.

Best,

Milan

Thanks mate, will give that a crack until there’s a solution. Appreciate it!

edit: works great for now. Is there a way to add text to that pages, up where it says ‘site name says…’ - could I add some text after ‘says…’

You are welcome. I believe there is a way how to change template page to give a different message but I didnt go deep into it due to lack of time. Maybe guys from s2member could give us some advice how to customize that page until the issue is resolved?

Point is that everything else works fine so there is no reason to present this error message to users, I’m sure there can be some temporary workaround just for the sake of user experience until they release final fix.

Yeah, it’s not ideal to not have a way to see if a problem does happen. But for the sites that for some reason are getting this behavior, it’ll be less often to have a real problem than this incorrect error message.

Rather than editing the s2Member file, though, if you have s2Member Pro, I do think it’s better to use a custom template for that return page. See: WP Admin > s2Member Pro > PayPal Options > PDT / Auto-Return > Auto-Return Page Template

It is also possible to build your own Auto-Return Page Template, if you prefer. If you feel the need to create your own Auto-Return Page Template, please make a copy of s2Member’s default template: s2member/src/includes/templates/returns/default-template.php. Place your copy of this default template, inside your active WordPress theme directory, and name the file: paypal-return.php. s2Member will automatically find your Auto-Return Page Template in this location, and s2Member will use your template instead of the default. Further details are provided inside s2Member’s default template file.

Hi Cristian, thanks for your answer. I’m free user of s2member so can I use second option you mentioned: to make a copy of s2Member’s default template: s2member/src/includes/templates/returns/default-template.php and place it inside active WordPress theme directory with the name of the file: paypal-return.php.

Will that work on s2member free plugin version?

No, you’d need s2Member Pro for the custom template.

1 Like

I did a bunch of testing, and so far this hack is working reliably. It’s not good if there is an actual error, in which case it’ll just keep looping, but for those having this issue, where the error message is shown although the transaction is fine, it’d be okay. Thanks Josh for sharing it.

I’m attaching a file with the hack applied. Just has to be uploaded to s2member/src/includes/classes/

paypal-return-in-inc.php.zip (3.9 KB)

2 Likes

I run 2 sites with 5,000+ members, like everyone else here we have been experiencing the same issues since November/December 2018, on average I receive 10 support emails per day, per site from new sign ups that receive this error.

Yesterday I installed the patch and for the first time in months I woke up to no support emails! I checked PayPal and the website and we have had successful registrations! Fingers crossed this is resolve now. Thank you Clavaque for your hard work on this. I created my account on here just to post and say thanks!

2 Likes

Thank you Mark! I’m sooo glad to get this feedback! I was hoping it’s working well for more sites, not just my tests. :smiley:

And thank @WarpConduit for sharing his solution, as well. I tried many things, and his was the best I found for this behavior so far.

1 Like

PRO is so great with membership sites - it avoids the hassle of customers having to locate the registration email - they have to register prior to payment, so it really increases the conversion rates too. Gillian :slight_smile:

3 Likes

used the patch and users are still getting the error on return… am i the only one left?