Error #12002. Processor Decline. This transaction cannot be processed due to either missing, incomplete or invalid 3-D Secure authentication values

Thank you for your comments. :smiley:

Yep exactly my thinking, if this was more widespread then I’d expect Google and these forums to be lit up with that error code and/or mentions of ‘3-D Secure errors’.

There must be plenty of people using s2member and PayPal to accept ‘direct card payments’ within the UK using PayPal Pro-Forms.

Would be really good if I could receive confirmation please from the dev that s2member is using correct/current APIs for PayPal RE the above so I can switch my attention elsewhere as to what on earth is going on.

Thank you. :+1:

You also mentioned that PayPal offers nothing on how to fix your issue, which further adds to my belief that it’s not related to SCA. But yes, it would certainly help if Cristian would respond.

Sorry, me again. I was just reading about 3D Secure Authentication on PayPal’s website.

Whether or not any changes need to be made with s2Member seems to depend on whether s2Member uses a Hosted or Direct version of PayPal Pro. If PayPal Pro is hosted on the site (which I think it is when you use s2Member Pro), there are no changes that need to be made because PayPal takes care of it on their end.

If PayPal Pro is not hosted on your site, then a change needs to be made. So the question then is whether or not s2Member Pro hosts PayPal Pro directly on your site. I don’t know the answer to that.

Cristian, please could you comment on the above? Thank you.

Secondary question would be, has this been done within s2member then:

Just found this which I’m going through now: New European regulation for online payments with Stripe

Call with PayPal confirms PayPal Pro as a product isn’t (and never will be) compliant. Only solution is to switch to PayPal Checkout for a compliant solution. Absolute/hard deadline of 31 March 2022 to do this.

Although I’m not sure Modifications are compatible with Express Checkout, which our site relies upon. So confused!

Note regarding ‘Hosted Solution’: s2Member Pro does NOT support PayPal Payments Pro as a ‘Hosted Solution’, which is a separate PayPal product with its own API. The Hosted Solution is designed to allow you to accept credit card payments on PayPal’s website, not on your website using something like s2Member Pro. If you signup for PayPal Payments Pro (not the Hosted Solution variation), that will work just fine with s2Member Pro.

I don’t think there is an easy solution here as Cristian has not been heard from in months. I’ve sent him numerous messages with no replies. He should have known about these changes a long time ago. Maybe someone else here knows how to make the necessary changes to s2Member?

That explains why your recurring subscription payments have not been affected. According to the info on Stripe’s website, SCA only applies to “customer-initiated” transactions (like when someone signs up for the first time using the PayPal Pro forms). But it does not apply to recurring subscription payments which are considered “merchant-initiated” transactions.

SCA also only applies to transactions where both the business and the customer’s bank are in Europe, which explains why those of us living elsewhere are not being affected (yet!).

Were you able to figure anything out? I noticed in that other post you linked to that Cristian released an SCA-compatible version of s2Member in Sep. 2019, and there have been newer releases since then. But maybe it’s only compatible with Stripe, not PayPal?

Odd that there is still no one else reporting the issue.

Not figured out a sensible fix yet, no. Only some contingency plans so far.

Terrible timing as next week is going to be our site’s busiest time of the year by a long way and heavily promoted on socials and mailshots. I’m expecting 1000s of failed transactions and an equal number of customer service contacts.

I too noticed the acknowledgment by s2memeber of SCA back in 2019 but can only see Stripe being made compliant within s2member, was really hoping I was missing something.

Yes I’ve come across similar wording in places - as long as a recurring payment subscription doesn’t change amount or frequency it’s only the first customer-initiated payment that’ll be subject to SCA and the rest treated as automated.

My own UK based bank contacted me last night telling me to expect failed transactions as of Monday 14 March and if/when that happens to go badger the merchant to tell them they’re not compliant.

Another problem is that we rely heavily on up selling customers from one package to another and/or other incentives like a discount if you switch from a monthly to annual plan. All of this will trigger SCA for non-PayPal account subscriptions. This isn’t going to be pretty.

I just can’t believe no one else is here reporting the issue. You can’t be the only s2Member user in the UK using PayPal.

Unfortunately, since development on s2Member seems to have stopped, I think the only solution would be to either switch to Stripe or to a different plugin. I’ve been considering making the switch to Memberpress but the thought of making big changes to my site makes me ill. However, if I’m left with no choice, I’ll have to do it.

That’s concerning. Is there anyone running the ship or has s2member been abandoned?

I have been looking for an alternative to s2members, since it seems to have been abandoned.

Restrict content pro seems to be quite similar, not too expensive and they roll out new versions from time to time. What do you think?

It would have to be a plugin that allows for my current members to be migrated over to it. Does Restrict Content Pro have a migrate feature? I know Memberpress does, but it’s quite expensive. Still, you usually get what you pay for.

I sell courses for a one time fee, in my case no migration is possible. But it will take 1 minute for each user. Not too bad, I have 400 users so a day will be enough to do it.

Maybe migration is possible if you have a simple setup based on levels and not on ccaps.

But if you copy your users from s2Member over to a different plugin (like Restrict Content Pro) manually, how do you copy over their passwords? I’ve always been confused about how to avoid having all of my members reset their password if I move to a new plugin, which is one of the main reasons I’m still using s2Member.

Both s2member and RCP are based on wordpress accounts. Both plugin manage the access to premium content, but the login is the same: wordpress user account.

For that reason, switching from a plugin to the other only requires two steps

1. Adapting the restricted content, adding the new protection rules
  2. Giving each user access to the courses they have purchased so far

In my case, with about 500 lessons and 400 users, I think it will take 2-3 days to do it. I am not glad to do it, but I am preparing to do the jump in case something breaks on my website. I am using Stripe so everything is fine for now, but I am not happy to have my business relying on an abandoned software.