Wordpress 5, Gutenberg and s2Member!

Hi,
Is there anyone who has installed the Wordpress 5 update with Gutenberg and who can tell me if s2Member is still working properly?
I do not have a test site to do it myself!
Thanks in advance.

Works fine for me. Here’s what I did, assuming you’re currently on WordPress v4.9.8 or below:

Note: Be on the safe side and make a backup of your database and installation folder in case you need to rollback.

1. Install the Classic Editor plugin:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/classic-editor/

2. Within “WordPress Admin > Settings > Writing” set the “Classic Editor” to default and set “Allow users to switch editors” to no.

3. Upgrade to WordPress v5.0.

That’s it. Gutenberg should be hidden away. The Classic Editor plugin (which is an official WordPress plugin) will be maintained until 2022.

I did a comparison of the rendered HTML source code, and there was no difference before and after the upgrade. Test transactions against Authorize.Net and PayPal Express Checkout worked fine. debug.log reported no notices, warnings, or errors. The post/page editing experience and interface was exactly the same as before.

1 Like

Works for me, without “Classic Editor”. I am not created new pages with the new editor yet…

1 Like

Hi,
Thank you very much for your reassuring answers!

Hi everyone,

For those saying that s2member is working fine with WordPress 5, does that include the payment options? At least one member here is experiencing problems with the PayPal Pro forms not showing the correct information after upgrading to WordPress 5.

I cannot even open pages with s2member information in the new editor - simply shows blank page. Now of course it could be another plugin that is problematic here too.
(noticed it on a test site where I did not have classic editor installed. Only after installing/enabling classic editor I could actually edit pages again).

Just took the plunge and finally upgraded to WordPress 5 (5.0.2). I can confirm that everything is working as before. I installed the Classic Editor plugin first and then did the upgrade, and everything seems to have gone smoothly.

Tried a test purchase for a membership to my site (using the PayPal Pro forms) and everything worked. One less thing to worry about.

2 Likes

That’s great, Stephen! :smiley:

Thank you so much for taking a minute to come back and share your experience. Really appreciated.

Cralamarre, I’m pleased to see your report. I’ve been holding off upgrading for fear of either my custom theme or s2member failing from the upgrade even with the Classic Editor plugin. But with the missed bug fixes mounting now in 5.0.2 I’m feeling antsy. I’ll do a backup and upgrade soon.

1 Like

Avimelech, I felt the same as you about upgrading to WP 5. I was worried that something was going to break, especially with s2Member, and there would be no way to fix it. And in my head, I imagined all of my existing members complaining, demanding refunds, etc.

But really, as long as you backup your database and your WP installation before upgrading, which I did, then if anything goes wrong, you can simply restore your database and replace the WP 5 installation with your previous one. Just make sure that you install the Classic Editor plugin and activate it before upgrading to WP 5.

I’m actually kind of glad that I went through this process because it forced me to learn how to backup my database, download it to my local machine, and get a local version of my WP site up and running on my computer. So now if anything goes wrong with my live site, I have my working local copy ready to go. And I can test out anything I want, including new versions of WP, without affecting my live site.

2 Likes

Stephen, what are you using for backups? I’ve been running https://updraftplus.com/ for some time now and it sends me an email every day reporting it backed up my site. Keeps the backups for me on my DropBox. And restore is easy. I used it once already.

BTW, I still have not done the upgrade and now I see in my dashboard WP 5.0.3 is now the latest, LOL. I hope this weekend I hunker down and do the upgrade right after a backup runs.

1 Like

Hi Tim, I use a plugin called BackUpWordPress. It’s great at backing things up, but you need to know how to restore the database yourself using phpMyAdmin. Still, it backs up my database every night, and you can also have it back up your files as well. I don’t need that because I keep a working copy of my files on my local computer (which is also backed up).

Don’t be like me and keep worrying yourself sick over nothing. Install the Classic Editor plugin, activate it, take a deep breath, and then upgrade to WordPress 5. It went smooth as butter for me, and everything works great. Nothing bad is going to happen. :slight_smile:

Having said that, I can’t promise that other plugins you’re running will all be compatible with WP 5. But as long as the Classic Editor plugin is installed and activated, you won’t have any issues with s2Member.

1 Like

I upgraded to 5.0.3 earlier today (of course with Classic Editor plugin). So far no reports or signs of regressions. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

It works just fine for me with the Classic Editor plugin - all payments are perfect. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Glad to hear you finally upgraded, Tim. I continue to have no problems at all with WordPress 5.

1 Like