Website display errors after updating S2 to 170524

Hi,

I’m having a major issue when I go to update s2member. I updated through the wordpress dashboard interface - first on my live site. When I went to check on the website - the pages weren’t loading at all. I luckily had an updraft backup and managed to restore the old version of the plugin. I then tested updating on the dev site I had - same result. I’ve kept the dev site with the new version of the plugin to showcase my problem for now.

Dev:http://dev.napkinmarketing.com/psg16/wp/
Live: https://psg.ca/

If anyone can point me in any direction to get this resolved that would be great. I’m using s2 alongside event espresso if that makes any difference.

I am having the same issue when updating the plug-in s2member Framework from v. 170221 (updated as of last month) to v. 170524 (tried updating today).

When I update the plug-in the entire site goes down and it is the “white screen of death” - can’t even access the wp-admin dashboard, etc. When I restore it to the previous s2member plug-in the site goes back to functioning as before.

Have either of you checked error logs on your server for a specific cause of the 500 error being displayed in the developer console? That information would be most helpful if we want to report this issue to WebSharks via GitHub. Thanks in advance.

Hey Pat,

Here’s what the dev console brought up - but I can’t seem to make much sense of it.

/resources/demos/style.css Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (Internal Server Error)
jquery-migrate.min.js:2 JQMIGRATE: Migrate is installed, version 1.4.1
style.css Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (Internal Server Error)

You need to check the error logs on your cPanel and any php error logs (including WordPress’s debug.log if you have debugging enabled) for 500 errors. Very rarely will you find the reason for a 500 error in the console messages.

Hey Pat,

My mistake was forgetting to update s2member pro as well! Thanks for trying to help me out.

1 Like

That happens to me once in awhile (lots of s2Member sites - I need to write a hack that will notify me when I’ve updated s2Member via ManageWP or something). :wink: Normally I don’t see error messages or 500 errors though, just broken shortcodes so I know immediately what the problem was.

Glad you figured it out.

Hi, I am not getting any notifications through WP or the s2member pro interface that would indicate the s2member pro is not updated. Is there a way to verify that s2member is the most current? When I update s2member framework plugin, the whole site goes down. I am updating from v. 170221 to v 170524 when this happens. Any point in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi again,
some additional information:
I seem to have 2 installs of s2member framework… not sure how that happened.
When I deactivate the old one and active the new one, I get this error…
thoughts? again, any point in the right direction would be appreciated.
Thanks,

I’ve never seen this before (2 instances of s2Member Framework), but the first thing I would check would be the directory structure. Se this KBA: https://s2member.com/kb-article/installing-s2member/