Using billing modification to adjust duration instead of level

Hey guys,

I’ve got a site whereby users have an option to subscribe to one of three levels for 3, 6 or 12 months for different charges. I did this with different pro-forms as suggested by the documentation.

Now I need to be able to offer these as upgrades/modifications. E.g. a user who initially pays a 3-month subscription decides that he wants to move to a 12-month subscription to save money now that he knows he will want to use the site for the foreseeable future.

The settings in billing modification appear to be for moving up and down levels…if I create a set of conditionals to only display billing mod forms that correspond to a user’s own level, and then create those mod forms with differing durations rather than levels, does it work in the same manner?

1 Like

Hi Tom,

I think you don’t have to use the Billing Modification forms to do this.
Just create an additional member subscription for 9 months.
This subscription must only be available to members who already purchased a 3 months subscription (this involves some PHP coding to determine this, but I don’t think it’s that hard to do).
When such a 3 months member buys the additional 9 months subscription, his total subscription (or EOT) will be extended to 12 months.
Check the KB about EOT and how to deal with that, but I think the method I described just works.

Thanks Toon,

I ended up using a combination of modification forms and ccaps to get what I wanted.

So, a mod form provides the different duration that’s required, and the ccap gets applied dependent on duration.

For anyone who finds this thread wondering what I did, yes, the modification form works fine when you keep the level the same and only adjust the duration/cost. BUT it does override and remove any existing duration. E.g. if I have 2 months left on my current 6-monthly subscription and then upgrade to the 12-month subscription, that 12 months will commence from today and those 2 remaining months will be gone forever.

1 Like