Users getting message 'Sorry, you are not allowed to access this page' when trying to log in

I was contacted by several of my users tonight trying to access the members area of my subscription based site. Upon trying to log in, they’re receiving the message ‘Sorry, you are not allowed to access this page’. I had a look at the login page and it also says ‘User registration is not currently allowed’. Everything was fine yesterday, it’s just happened this evening. I have no idea how to fix this and haven’t changed any settings for anything on my site in the past 24 hours. Please help!

I managed to resolve the ‘Sorry you are not allowed to access this page’ issue by disabling the Bluehost plugin on my Wordpress site. However, I’m still unable to accept new user registrations. This is so frustrating! Could it be a PHP issue?

Hi Alexis.

Do you have open registrations enabled on your site? WP Admin > s2Member > General > Open Registration

Hi Christian, thanks for your reply.

When I do this then it does open up registrations, but I don’t have an option for free subscribers to access my site, it’s all paid subscription content - when I had it open previously I got lots of spam accounts created and would like to avoid this if possible. Do you know if there’s a way to solve this problem without having to keep Level 0 subscriptions open? I’ve been using S2Member for 18 months now without this issue, it has just suddenly arisen this week.

I see.

Then it’s normal that it says registrations are disabled, because they’re closed to visitors. But when you sell the membership to someone, he is let in. s2 sets a cookie in the buyer’s browser after being returned to the site from PayPal to the s2 return URL of your configuration. He will also get an email with a signup link, which also lets him register the account. And if you have and s2 pro-form, that also allows registration bypassing the Open Registration setting.

Does that help? :slight_smile:

Thank you for your help, I understand. It’s just strange that I haven’t had this problem at all in the 18 months I’ve been using s2member, and now I have to allow level 0 members to enable anyone to be able to subscribe. So I guess now I just have to stay on top of deleting the spam accounts on the level 0 accounts as and when they show up?