User-new.php still cannot be patched & logged in users directed to dashboard

I’ve been trying for days to track down a simple bug that appears to have affected numerous S2member customers. Several posted that the patch within S@member for multisite environments does not patch the user-new.php file. These issues go back into 2017 and I am having them today. On the past posts, there was no response on that thread from the developer. I’m not sure how to patch the user-new.php file, as there are no resources I can find to detail this process.

I am trouble shooting an issue where members are not directed to the welcome page. Free members use the S2member free registration form to signup, but in my user table they are not assigned as a level 0 subscriber.

This is very discouraging as the developer is not very helpful with this known (and ignored) issue, and does not seem to be standing behind their product on this matter. I have invested a great deal of time and money in setting this up, and I’m no novice with wordpress. So, if anyone has a suggestion, or can assist me in patching this user-new.php file I would really appreciate it. Right now I am really regretting buying this product, but I hope that will change.