User can't upgrade membership - "Email in use" message

One of my users is complaining that when they try upgrading their membership they are getting an error message declaring that email is already in use. I’ve tested it out myself with a dummy user and had no problems upgrading. I checked to see if that user had multiple instances of profiles but there’s only one as far as I can tell.

Anyone have suggestions as to what could be causing this?

He try to “subscribe”, instead to “upgrade”. You must use [s2_If conditionals] to show him the need button/form, depending if they are logged in or not. Or a message to log in first.

Hi Gigi.

I suspect the same that Krum mentioned. Your user was probably logged out when he tried to pay. The pro-form is also a signup form when the person isn’t logged in. If he enters his email, then WordPress will say that address is already in use, by him actually.

To make sure that existing users are logged in when they plan to upgrade, it’s always best to have the payment pro-form protected with at least Level 0, which will require the person to be logged in and not show it to a visitor. You can do this with conditionals around the pro-form, or just protecting the whole page with the Level 0 restriction.

I hope that makes sense. :slight_smile:

1 Like

YES! Thanks @krumch and @clavaque that was it. Somehow I failed to set a membership requirement on that page. I really appreciate y’all!

1 Like

Great! :smiley: