Upgrading User Role

When someone who already has an account on my site signs up for recurring payments, is the only way for their current username to get upgraded if they are already logged in as that user?

And if they are not already logged in as the username the already have for my site, will they then HAVE to create a new user to gain access to the protected materials?

I saw another ticket about this, and the only answer said this is what had to be done. It seems very tricky though because it’s a lot to expect of the users signing up. I would much rather find a seamless solution that didn’t require the user to make so many steps before subscribing.

Is there any other way for them to upgrade their current user role if they were not logged in when they went through PayPal? Is there anything in the Pro version that would solve this?

I read something in the ‘Getting Started’ about a ‘Modification Button’. Would this be my solution? And if so, can anyone please explain to me how to do it? I wasn’t able to find anything about modification buttons in the buttons tab of the settings!

What’s happening is that I’m using this on a WooCommerce site, so a lot of the people signing up already have a role of customer on my site. When they sign-up for the subscription, it’s not updating their current role.

Any thoughts or advice would be very helpful, thank you so much!

Sounds like a bug with the S2Member / WooCommerce combo. It works fine on my client sites…none use Woo.

NOTE: S2member was not designed specifically to integrate with Woo. Others have asked.

Although I don’t know about Woo, I know that if an existing member makes a purchase (Buy now or a subscription) and they are not logged in, the system does not recognize the fact that they are already members. It will possibly ask them to create an account (which they already have, so the customer gets confused) and will NOT add the proper access to their account.

Unlike other platforms, s2M does not recognize the “credentials” (like Paypal account or email). I had to resort to add a bold message on my pages stating “If you already have an account, make sure you are logged in when you complete this purchase”. Otherwise, I get an email from the customer saying they can’t seem to be able to access what they just bought, and I have to add things manually for them, in the backend.

2 Likes

The issue doesn’t really have anything to do with WooCommerce.

Hi Carole, thank you so much for the reply. This is what I had to resort to as well! Are you using the Pro version of S2Member? I’ve been wondering if there was a way with their Pro Forms they advertise for the user to login before going through the checkout process.

I do use the Pro-form and it is the exact same thing.
Here is an example of my checkout page using the Pro-form and you can see that nothing is mentioned in the form itself, so I had to add the notice above it:

1 Like

That’s very helpful and informative, thank you so much!

My comment was based on your statement:

“What’s happening is that I’m using this on a WooCommerce site, so a lot of the people signing up already have a role of customer on my site. When they sign-up for the subscription, it’s not updating their current role.”

I thought that was the bug you were reporting. I had assumed you understood that no WordPress user-specific function can happen when you are not logged in because the software would not know who the person is. Without authentication all other user data (like email address) could be being provided by a hacker posing as the user.

Glad you got it sorted to your satisfaction with Carole.