Updating Billing Information After Authorize.net Suspends Membership

Hello,

I have s2member pro and authorize.net. My clients with recurring memberships can not update their billing information once authorize suspends their subscription when their credit card is declined.

The client can login to their account, but it will not allow them to update their credit card information to continue their membership.I am loosing tons of clients because of this.

My only solution to date has been to delete the clients account and ask them to create a new one. This is awful! Most don’t do it and the ones that do loose all their marked favorites on their old account and are pissed off. Does anyone have a solution to this so clients can update billing after they are suspended by authorize?

To my knowledge s2member and authorize.net do not have the option to send out emails alerting a client that their credit card is expiring…so I can’t take steps to help the client update billing before the card gets declined. Please help! Thank you.

Hi Mary.

Thank for the feedback on this. I will be looking at improving the Authorize.Net integration in the future, so any info you can give me from your experience, will be most valuable to make it better.

Having said that, I’d like to help you with this now. So these are subscribers whose payments failed, and after a few, the subscription got terminated by Auth.Net, is that correct?

When they try to update their cards, where are they doing that? Are you using s2’s billing update pro-form?

For reminder emails, you have: WP Admin > s2Member Pro > Authorize.Net Options > Reminder Emails

Those won’t fire on failed payments, but you can have them go out right before the payment is attempted, and could help prevent some of those failed charges.

Authorize.Net does have emails for recurring payments, including card expiration and failed transaction. https://sandbox.authorize.net/help/Tools/Automated_Recurring_Billing/Automated_Recurring_Billing_Emails.htm

1. Log into your Merchant Interface at https://account.authorize.net
  2. Click Recurring Billing in the main left side menu.
  3. Click Configure ARB Email Notifications.
  4. Check the boxes for the e-mail notifications you wish to receive.
  5. Click Submit to create the subscription.

Thank you so much for responding Crisitan! I am currently signed up to receive these emails in Authorize. But I would like my CLIENTS to receive these emails. That’s the issue here.

I will answer some of your questions below:
(So these are subscribers whose payments failed, and after a few, the subscription got terminated by Auth.Net, is that correct?)
Yes, their payment fails, authorize downgrades and suspends them. The client logs in to my website, goes to update their billing info and the message from s2member pro says “there is nothing to update, you don’t have an account.”

When they try to update their cards, where are they doing that? Are you using s2’s billing update pro-form? Yes

For reminder emails, you have: WP Admin > s2Member Pro > Authorize.Net Options > Reminder Emails
I do not have these on but will turn them on. Will these emails send them a reminder that their card is expiring and to update it? Or when their transaction has failed?

So how can a client update their billing info in S2member pro once authorize suspends their membership? They should be able to log back into their account, update their billing to reinstate their membership. Will adding Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Authorize.Net® Pro Forms -› Billing Modification Forms, allow me to do this?

Thank you so much!
Mary

Hi Cristian,

This problem is literally destroying my business! Once authorize.net downgrades an account after a declined card, nobody can update their billing information in S2member. Although they can login…it says their membership is inactive and there is no billing info to update.

I have tried the following:

1. implementing billing update forms - this only works for those who are “active clients.” Once authorize downgrades…they are not longer active.

2. I checked with authorize and they do not have an email system that goes out to clients who’s cards are about to expire to tell them to update. Therefore their card declines…they become inactive and can not update their info to continue their membership.

3. If you go to s2memberpro - authorize.net options - automatic EOT behavior …there are 3 drop down options…

Membership EOT Behavior (Demote or Delete)?

Membership EOTs also Remove all Custom Capabilities?

EOT Grace Time (in seconds):
This is represented in seconds. For example, a value of: 86400 = 1 day. Your EOT Grace Time; is the amount of time you will offer as a grace period (if any). Most site owners will give customers an additional 24 hours of access; just to help avoid any negativity that may result from a customer losing access sooner than they might expect. You can disable EOT Grace Time by setting this to: 0 .

I would like to see one of these options allow for users to still login and update any billing information to reinstate their account. I changed the EOT grace time to 259200 to give people 3 days to login after they’ve been demoted but I don’t think it will allow them to update their billing info if authorize has already downgraded their membership.

Once a card is declined and authorize downgrades…s2member gives no options for clients to update their billing info and reinstate their account. Please help. I am loosing A TON of clients because of this!! Thank you so much!

Mary