Swaping gateways and updating

HI ALL
We were using auth.net as a payment but switched to stripe. what is the process fro customers who ere paying annually with .net and now want to renew? s2 members allows them to renew with the update area but then can not submit.

“I have a couple of days before my subscription runs out but the screen says that there is “Nothing to update. You’re NOT a paid member”. When I put in my credit card details it acknowledges it at the bottom of the screen(xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-1626) but when I hit ‘Submit’ it does not submit”

You need to generate a new Billing Modification Form for Stripe. You also need to make sure that their subscription with Auth.net has expired, or that you give them a means of ending it (by using a Billing Cancellation Form).

1 Like

Thanks Tim, Seems like a longer process for the user. Is there not a more automated process. We have cancelled our .net account - will make a difference?

W

There isn’t an automated way of doing it because, so far as the payment processors are concerned, it’s not your money that’s involved. It’s up to your members to decide what to do with their money. You can be a facilitator, nothing more.

I really don’t know what will happen as a result of your canceling your Auth.net account. It could be that your members will now get access indefinitely, in which case you should set an EOT for each one and get them to complete a Billing Modification form.

Thanks again Tim. Just to clarify. We have a 86 auth.net with annual recurring billing (60 day free trial). The majority have no EOT - which I expect get set when the annual payment lapses. Our auth.net credentials are still in the site but expect that auth.net will not send the call back updating the renewal (as no account) and therefore those accounts will lapse. I also assume that cancelling the auth.net account means that they will no longer take any recurring payment set in the future? I could dig out the payment emails and manually set the EOT.

The .net update form was created as per s2 instructions and was replaced with the stripe update billing, which makes the .net update and cancel pro forms redundant.
If the account lapses and reverts to guest access, going to update billing ( assuming this is your Billing Modification form) should then use the stripe gateway? Do I need to create a separate cancel .net form and is the update form the same as Billing Modification form?

Many thanks

No, it doesn’t. A Stripe form talks to Stripe. It doesn’t talk to any other payment processor. So you should use a Stripe Billing Modification form to (a) talk to Stripe and (b) modify the subscription on your site. But that doesn’t do anything about Auth.net.

That’s what happens with a subscription if you still have the relevant payment processor connected. But you don’t.

No, you have that the wrong way round. There is nothing to indicate to s2Member that the subscription has any EOT, which means that it will continue indefinitely unless you terminate it somehow.

I don’t know. You’d have to ask them.

That is probably what I would do.

1 Like