Suddenly .htaccess Blocks All Images!

I have a private portfolio online using WordPress and S2Member and a bunch of other plugins. I last logged in about a week ago, I know 9/5/18 for a fact because I added a new member.

Today I log in, a week later - no updates on my part whatsoever - and discover that all of my images aren’t showing up. I’ve been working on this for 2 hours already - did the backups, restores, plug-ins on/off, etc.

I narrowed it down to the .htaccess file in the s2member-files director.

If I delete it or empty the file, everything words on the site - images show, everything is wavy gravy (except my images are available publicly, which is expected at this step).

Now when I copy & paste the code (from this link or from WP Admin in the download restrictions page (it lists code to c&p there) the error comes back.

I don’t know what to do at this point - all of my plugins and WP installation are up to date. I didn’t change anything. At first I thought the file got corrupted but now it looks like there is an issue with the code itself.

Please help me out - I am a paid pro member. Let me know what other info you need… and thank you!

Delete the .htaccess file you added manually, then deactivate s2Member. Then reactivate s2Member and test again.

Ok, just tried that. It didn’t change anything - other suggestions?

Not really. The problem is that code doesn’t start behaving differently unless there has been some change somewhere. So, even though you are currently unaware of it, something on your site has changed. And if you don’t know, it’s almost impossible for anyone without access to the site to know.

I would talk to your host, who might have logged something, and I would suggest you install a logging plugin for future use.

That’s unfortunate…

I did try restoring to a previous version of my files/database. I restored back to 9/3/18 when I was last in the site and it was working. I then went back to 8/28/18. Neither restore brought the images back - so does that tell you anything? (Also tried 3 different browsers, cleared caches, etc.)

It just tells me it’s not to do with the database. So it’s most likely something to do with another plugin.

Hi, try to re-save your permalink settings - that rebuilds the main .htaccess file, hope will helps.