Subscription not working with paypal

Hi,

I recently set up a new lesson membership website with s2member plugin, I set up all the things with paypal and tested membership level 2 purchase with my 2nd paypal account.

Transaction went through but it doesn’t show up in the automatic payment tab in my 2nd paypal account. I can see this testing account is registered as a new user and EOT is set to 1 month in the wordpress dashboard, so this account can have an access to my courses for just 1 month but there’s no sign of recurring bill.

I double checked general and paypal settings of s2member however I couldn’t find anything wrong. I looked up this forum and spent sometime but I couldn’t find a same problem. I wonder if you had a similar cases in the past or if there’s simple solution for this type of plugin behavior. I tried server scanner and it looked fine as well.

Thank you so much,

yuto

Hello Yuto-san.

Transaction went through but it doesn’t show up in the automatic payment tab in my 2nd paypal account.

Is that the account you integrated with s2Member? When you say it went through, do you say it because the user got created, or because you saw the payment somewhere?

EOT is set to 1 month in the wordpress dashboard, so this account can have an access to my courses for just 1 month but there’s no sign of recurring bill.

Then it sounds like you didn’t sell a subscription. s2Memer doesn’t set an EOT time for subscriptions on creation, only when they end. What sets the EOT time immediately is a “buy now” transaction.

Could you show me the shortcode you used?

I look forward to your update :slight_smile:

Hi Cristian,

Thanks for getting me back, I have 1 business paypal account that is integrated with S2. For this testing, I used another personal paypal account to see how it works. The payment was made and I see transaction in each account with the details noting “item #2::1 M”. User is created and user can have an access to membership level #2 pages till the end of April. So it seems like it sold one time access for 1month.

As for shortcode, I’m using third party LMS Wordpress Theme by designthemes that supposed to be integrated with S2member. So I just set up membership option page and not sure where I can find a shortcode. I’m also asking them a help and I got reply this morning about they are on the way to fix it.

I got confused since I thought membership level above #2 is subscription based, and level #1 is for buy now transaction. This is membership option page if it helps. https://yutokanazawa.com/guitarlab/membership-options/

I will update here if the problem is solved by designtheme as well.

Thank you very much,

Yuto

Thanks for the additional details, Yuto-san.

I see, so you’re not using s2’s button/form to make the charge or create the subscription. If you’re doing it thought a 3rd party integration/customization, yeah, it’s best that you approached them about it. I’m sure from their reply that they’re working on it and should be able to help you with it soon.

If their button doesn’t work, though, you can generate one with s2Member’s shortcode and test that.

Let me know how it goes. :slight_smile:

Hi Cristian,

Designtheme support team was able to fix this issue, communication with paypal is now flawless. Thank you for the great plugin and taking your time!

Yuto

Wonderful! That’s great news, thanks for the update. Nice job. :slight_smile:

Since you’re using a method outside of s2 to create the subscription, I recommend that you also test that s2 is receiving the IPNs correctly and recognizing as relevant and being able to use them.

In particular I recommend testing ending a subscription and seeing if s2 acts on it and sets an EOT time to the user’s profile. If something wasn’t done right in the subscription creation to be well integrated with s2, s2 may think that the IPN is not relevant and ignore it.

For those tests, please keep logging enabled, and check the core-ipn log in particular. WP Admin > s2Member > Log Files