Subdomain Protection

Hi,

I need to create a forum that can only be accessed via Level 1 subscribers.

I have the option of creating this forum on either a subdomain for embedding it into the page using code.

In the case of the former, is it possible to protect a subdomain with S2?

As a secondary point, if I wanted to have certain areas of the forum available to free members whilst others are restricted to Level 1, Level 2… is this possible?

I suspect that embedding the code and protecting the page is going to be the most straightforward option due to my lack of knowledge.

Input appreciated,
Thanks.

I’m having issues with this.

I can protect the page itself ok with S2, but once you click on specific topics, these are unprotected.

I guess it’s because these pages are opening on the path https://pbs.discussion.community/?forum= and S2 recognises it as a different site?

I tried protecting URI fragments [forum] but no change.

What’s the solution here?

Thanks.

Any way I can protect a subdomain?

I’m stuck until I can figure out a solution.

Thanks.

Simply put: No! A subdomain is a separate site, so there’s no way that s2Member can protect it.

It sounds like you’re trying to embed a non-WP forum into a WP site. The only way that stands any chance of being protected by s2Member is if everything takes place on one page (e.g. it’s all done by AJAX). Then you could protect the page and done.

Otherwise, you are going to be struggling. If, for example, you are attempting to use Discourse, then you’re going to be completely out of luck because the language in which it’s programmed isn’t even PHP (which is what WP and, therefore, s2Member uses), so it couldn’t possibly respond to what s2Member says.

The only reliable way to get a forum protected on WP is to use a WP forum plugin.

1 Like

Would BuddyPress do the job do you think?

It could. BuddyPress is designed to be more than just a forum, though, so I’m not sure if that’s really what you want. bbPress is its sister forum plugin, though I think it’s very hard to style in a way that makes it usable. There are other plugins available too on wordpress.org.

1 Like