Stay with s2Member pro or go to another plugin?

I came to this forum to get help, but having seen all the posts about S2Member being abandoned by the developers I’m now wondering if it might be best for me to simply switch to a different plugin.

I have a membership site with over 200 subscribers paying a small monthly fee. But I’m changing my business model and I want to make membership free.

I currently use s2Member pro with two membership levels. I have hundreds of pages of content requring these membership levels for access.

I wanted to know if there’s a way I can convert all members to level 0 and switch all content to level 0 without going through each member/page individually.

However, if this process is going to cumbersome and s2Member is likely to become obslete I now wonder if my best option is simply to remove the plugin and use something else.

It’d be great to get some input/advice.

Hi,
Regarding the abandonment or not of s2Member, I do not really know what to say except that:

• Some “rumors” say that developers are still active in the background …
  • Krum is working on a plugin based on s2Member to ensure the continuity of the latter.
  • There is already a plugin based on s2Member, OptimizeMember, but that requires some work to transfer your customers.

To pass all your customers at level 0 all at once, you need to use a small PHP loop as described here (change EOT var with level): Click Here!
Or you can simply use this solution: Click Here!
Thanks.

Thanks @seth78 that’s really helpful info on all counts.

Do you know if there’s a way I can switch all of the content to level 0 too?

Second solution in previous post is for that, you can change level of all posts/pages with this method!
Thanks.

If you do not protect content any more why not just disable s2member?

@Seth78 Really sorry Brice, I should’ve looked at the link properly before asking. Perfect. Much appreciated!

@TheHotte84 Because I still want people to register to access the content, they just won’t have to pay. Later I may introduce charges again where members need to upgrade to paid membership to access the content.

For the record, you can also export all of the member records to csv, change the roles, and then import. This can be done in the S2 import/export section.

+1 :clap:
Thanks for your answer :slight_smile:

Thanks @milkmob good to know :slight_smile:

FWIW, I use S2 to manage both events and membership for our organization. The CCAPS capability with a single membership level works great for this. When people register for an event, they are granted membership and a few ccaps. These provide me with info about which event they’ve registered for and also provide access to the lecture notes for the event. While managing events, I download all the attendees to spreadsheet and use ccaps to separate them into attendance lists (and other tasks). After the training event has been completed, I update the ccaps and eot, export to csv, and upload back to S2. See also my previous post about our custom plugin (code provided) for using Gravity Forms for registration rather than S2 forms - the plugin has made things an order of magnitude easier.

With the demise of S2 I’ve been researching alternatives. I’ve not found any other membership plugins with a CCAP-like capability where we can manage content protection on the fly. However, as noted elsewhere, Ultimate Member is based on S2. I contacted them and they have been maintaining their version of the code. We are testing on a migration and it is looking relatively easy to do. I will post a separate topic if we make the switch.

Ultimate Member does not even have any payment system - how can it be based on s2? I guess you confuse/mix up something. Also Ultimate Membership does not seem to have anything in common with s2.

You must be meaning optimizemember (I don’t know of any other clone that is still supported/online/working). Moving over to OptimizeMember is pretty painless - if I’ld only know how to redirect the IPN with nginx (that’s well possible to do - I just seem to be too stupid to write the correct nginx regex inside nginx.conf for the return or rewrite).

Yes, OptimizeMember - sorry about that!

Well I finally got it running 100% I think. I will probably condense what I had to do again in the relevant thread.

it seems s2member still running well? why people say its dying?

Hi,
s2Member is not dead and will not die thanks to the recent recovery of plugin maintenance by Cristián Lávaque and Krum.
We had a doubt last year because no one answered the messages but it is settled, thanks to them!

2 Likes

wonderful
they are the hero!
gandalf !!

1 Like