Simple One Membership Level Setup Help

Hey All… After struggling for 4 days thinking there is a problem with my host blocking outgoing email… turns out… it’s my S2Member configuration.

I can’t find any tutorial or instructions to walk me through this simple setup.

1 level membership. NO free subscription.

Purchase membership level through clickbank button, and s2member needs to send new user registration email.

EVERYTHING works except S2Member isn’t generating the email.

I CONFIRMED it is not a problem with my host blocking anything… the email simply isn’t getting generated.

Must be a problem with my setup, so your help would be appreciated.

Thanks
W

How did you confirm that the email was not being generated? Did you log the email process?

Is the User being properly registered?

I confirmed email not being generated 2 ways: First by installing the plugin WP MAIL LOG. and then confirming with my hosting company they connected to my site and watched on the backend and confirmed nothing being generated.

They received the clickbank test payment notification, but never an email to register.

Today, I discovered 1 setup issue. I had the membership options page set as the landing page. I have changed that and retested… still no good.

The Test payment email goes through and goes out from clickbank… but there is never a registration email.

I also tried several SMTP plugin’s (which is when I called my hosting company because they weren’t sending emails either) and they did not work.

If several SMTP plugins also failed to send emails it sounds like there is a problem with either your WordPress or hosting configuration (no matter what your hosting provider says). This isn’t a problem with s2Member (since the other plugins also failed to send emails. Have you tried setting up a transactional email sender such as SendGrid?

I tried mailgun, nothing. Which makes me thing that I am either the dumbest person on the planet or there is just something wrong with how I have the membership setup.

When you say the SMTP plugins were not sending emails did you mean ONLY the s2Member emails or did you try sending other emails as well. Because if other emails are not being sent, I repeat, it isn’t an s2Member problem. Also, there’s really nothing in the setup of s2Member to stop emails from being sent - at least that I can recall. It certainly would not stop any non-s2Member emails from being sent and s2Member uses the default WordPress mail functionality for sending mail.

Let me start fresh.
All I want is to sell my product on clickbank. I followed all of the instructions, and I’m at the “test payment” step… everything works, I get the clickbank confirmation email link BUT there is no registration email sent. no user setup, AND when I click the download from the clickbank confirmation it brings me to a S2Member page that says:
Thank you! Please check your email for further details regarding your purchase.
And, that’s it. No further details are ever sent.
ALL of my efforts to resolve this have been focused on trying to get those “further details” sent from S2Member… Is there a chance I don’t have S2Member setup correctly… ABSOLUTELY… But I don’t know where to check.

Wenda, @JediShark certainly understands your frustration. As do I. But her question remains the most pertinent basis for any help we might be able to offer. I’ll phrase it this way:

Have you successfully sent an email from your site using any plugin at all?

If the answer to that question is “No,” then I very much doubt it has anything to do with s2Member. Instead – despite what you have been told – it almost certainly has everything to do with your host.

Some hosts are notorious for these sorts of problem. Who is yours?

@KTS915 I haven’t tried to send any other email. I don’t have anything else with email. In fact, I never send email from my sites, I use mailchimp. So, I’m not sure how to even test it.

AND, I’m new to S2Member and I’ve never even successfully had a paying members sign up for my site, so I’m not sure that’s setup either.

WordPress sends emails from your site. Most SMTP plugins allow you to send a test email and you said you tried SMTP plugins.

Have you read this s2Member KBA: https://s2member.com/kb-article/troubleshooting-email-delivery-problems/?

Have you tested registering as a paying member? I assumed that was what you were doing when you realized that the “emails weren’t being sent”. I also ASKED if the Users were successfully being registered. Now you seem to be saying that they are not. If they aren’t being registered then, yes, you probably have something set up incorrectly.

By paying do you mean paid s2member plugin? I purchased the upgrade because it was the only way to get clickbank interface

Or by paid do you mean self hosted and again yes my site is self hosted.

I uninstalled all smtp plugins because A) they didn’t work out of the box and B) I am not confident that I have the S2Member setup properly. i don’t want to assume the issue is an email issue when it could easily be my S2Member setup.

I can’t find a tutorial that actually shows how it’s supposed to work.

Unfortunately it doesn’t seem like anyone has any real suggestions or instructions.

If you are looking for help with email, @JediShark and I have indicated what you need to do: test sending an email from another plugin.

If you now think you want help for a more fundamental problem, you will need to explain what you have done so far. What pages have you created, what settings have you chosen, etc.

The trick to getting meaningful support is to provide as much detail as you possibly can. We can’t see what you have done, and just telling us “it doesn’t work” gives us nothing to go on.

What do you mean “they didn’t work out of the box”? That you couldn’t set them up?

I’m afraid you didn’t try then. There is a link to an installation KBA from your s2Member account page and it is easily found by searching on the KBA: https://s2member.com/kb-article/installing-s2member/

No. I mean did you test s2Member registration process?

If you cannot articulate what you have done and what is happening, then no one here will be able to help you. We don’t read minds (thankfully).

I gave you a link to a KBA with specific instructions on testing whether email from your website works. I asked you several times to tell me exactly what was happening. I don’t get paid for this and I’m through with this thread. Good luck getting s2Member (or any other Membership plugin) to work.

Sorry.

Out of the box = installed, followed installation instructions, Followed what I could find of setup instructions: tested: no good.

Tutorials = After following all tutorials available for installation and setup, and testing failed, unable to find tutorials for troubleshooting issues

Yes, Paid for S2Member plugin

Yes, Paid for domain

Yes, Paid for hosting

I have installed the paid version of S2Member on my wordpress site, closely following the step by step instructions for installation and it is installed. (Yes, I followed the instructions on the link you supplied.)

Now. I need to do setup. There is no wizard or easy way to do this that I could find, within the S2Member plugin, I needed to click on each section to expand it… read the instructions… and follow them… I have done this.

BECAUSE my payment gateway is Clickbank, there is an additional integration that i needed to perform. I followed the instructions to do that integration.

I have setup:

No free subscribers

1 level membership

As far as I can tell (and there’s no way to test) my site is setup correctly, except to run a test payment.

I run the test payment and Clickbank confirms payment with a button to download / get access

I select that button… and I get a Thank you Email, you’ll be receiving a registration email shortly.

The registration email never goes out.

To troubleshoot, I have confirmed that my email (info@writebooksforkindle.com) is sending and receiving email. I have contacted my webhosting and they (through a simple PHP function on my site have confirmed that emails CAN be sent) I installed contact forms 7, and it is working. I am receiving those emails.

I’m going to try to set it up on another domain.

@1wendaone, please do a test for me: create a new free member, but not by admin panel. Then log in to your site by this user. Tell me all the process step by step.

OK

First: I enabled free subscriber (which was previously disabled)

Second: I registered using the S2Member generated registration page

Third: I checked and found that I had a “user name / password” email (yeah! first email from S2Member)

Fourth: clicked the link in the email and set my password

Fifth: I logged into the my website and was brought to my course page (without access to the course)

What do you suggest as the next step in troubleshooting my issue?