Shipping Address Needed - Stripe

Hey Guys,

I have a purchase option that requires me to ship product to the customer. I guess I have two issues but they may be related.

1. I need to collect a shipping address
  2. I need that shipping address linked or passed to Stripe

I don’t need the billing address but even tried to get that (I know there are issues with that too.)

I know that I could add ‘custom’ fields to the registration but that introduces tons of wasted time looking up users and trying to correlate them and stripe. Not an option for me.

This seems like pretty basic functionality and there is a “collect_shipping_address” directive. It just does not seem to work. I am never seeing input fields and I am not being prompted anywhere.

Short code below: (Live in Stripe Test Mode: https://www.positiveparenting.com/purchase-options/purchase-class/)

[s2Member-Pro-Stripe-Form level="2" ccaps="" desc="$200.00 USD / One Time (for lifetime access, non-recurring)" cc="USD" custom="www.positiveparenting.com" ta="0" tp="0" tt="D" ra="200.00" rp="1" rt="L" rr="BN" collect_billing_address="1" collect_shipping_address="1" coupon="" accept_coupons="1" default_country_code="US" captcha="0" /]

Thanks in advance for any insight or help with this!

1 Like

Hi Debbie.

I see… Those directives are actually a remnant of the older integration with Stripe. Jason added it because they were part of what Stripe asked for the modal that popped up for the customer to enter his card info.

s2Member is for digital products, access to WordPress content, and it was never part of the implementation to deal with shipping addresses. The new Stripe integration uses a newer Stripe API, where the payment field is in the same form instead of another window, and is just that: payment details. I had missed that attribute in the documentation, that’s why it remains, but I’ll remove it in the next release. Thank you for bringing my attention to it.

Having said that, some site owners in the past have needed to ship things to customers, and what they used were custom profile fields. See here: WP Admin > s2Member > General Options > Registration / Profile Fields & Options

Does that help? :slight_smile:

I thank you for the info. Most of what I sell is digital but first purchase includes physical books. I have to find a way to get shipping added to the info sent to stripe so that I can correlate the billing and shipped data.

I have PayPal pro as well but s2 does not handle shipping addresses there either.

I see…

Well, you can correlate with the payment ID in the gateway, looking up the user in WordPress to see his shipping address profile fields… That solution will work for both gateways…

I honestly never thought that a shipping address was needed for the online access management that s2 provides, but I can see now that some like you, have a model that would ship something…

I am adding it as a feature request with your vote. I can’t say when it’ll be implemented, but in the future I want to re-do the gateway integrations, and I may add this.

In the meantime, I think that the custom profile fields are your best bet. That’s what I’d use in my business if I needed a shipping address.

Another thing you can do, is set up a payment notification email, that sends you all the details, I think including the custom profile fields. Try it and see if it helps you wo. WP Admin > s2Member > API / Notifications > Payment > Send an Email (at the bottom of the box)

:slight_smile:

Thanks Cristian,

I will give it a try. It just become a pain looking all this up. With the paypal buy now, it is so easy to prin a shipping label and move on. I would continue to do that but I have support issues with having users not understand to come back around to create the account etc. Also, this year I was really hoping to capitalize on using COUPONS. I even already created the redesign and campaign pages. Oh well. Thanks and if you ever update the system I’ll check it out.

1 Like

why can’t you use a billing address for shipping? Do you really need to offer both? You can set up a tax rate of 0.0% as global - then a tiny country you will never sell to at 0.1% - then address field will show up in the pro form.

Check out the stripe pro-form here: https://openmtbmap.org/support/membership/
For paypal buttons this is not possible however - but you can request full address inside your paypal account - so you will be set. Paypal proform works the same way as stripe pro-form from what I know.

Custom fields are rubbish - they won’t be used by any 3rd party integration (and I’m not sure they are passed on to Stripe/Paypal at all - I think that info only stays internal). It’s a bit of a pain that s2member can only collect address via the tax workaround - but it’s doable. And it’s a bit annoying you cannot customize the address fields (you could rename them like I did - but the number of fields is fixed). I would like to have one field less (no state/province) because in Europe it’s not needed - or alternatively make it not mandatory - but this is not possible.

Hello Felix, @openmtbmap

Thanks for the idea. I have run into a few issues that will make me add it to registration. In many of my sales, it’s grandparents and the like that make the purchase for their kid living in a different location. Shipping of books need the correct location.

The other issue is that using gift codes does not allow the collection of that information.

Kind of a pain but it looks like an ugly solution beats no solution.

I am having the same issue. I have a membership setup and Level 2 members get something shipped to them, for joining a higher tier. I use Stripe so it would be easy to just login and see my payments for the week and be able to ship to the customers who signed up for Level 2. but there are no addresses passed to Stripe. Is this possible?

1 Like