s2Member using high amounts of CPU

So, my website has been running fine for months even with s2Member running. However, for the past couple of days I have noticed my site going extremely slow, and then I eventually got a 524 error. I contacted my host and they said they noticed high amounts of requests to the wp-login.php page. Thinking this could be an attack, I put CloudFlare into ‘Under Attack Mode’, I also disabled all plugins, which combined allowed my to get back on my site.

I first put it into maintenance mode and proceeded to activate my plugins one by one. I also use Litespeed Cache so I purged the cache after every plugin activation. Now, everything worked fine and I noticed very little CPU usage, and my website was loading as it should. However, I had intentionally left s2Member until last and after activating it again, the CPU usage jumped to below 5% to over 90%.

Not quite sure what you need to see the problem, but it’s frustrating me. Why over the last 2 days has it started using so much CPU.

Hi John.

That really is very odd behavior. I don’t see why s2Member would be connecting to wp-login.php like that. Was there any other clue in the logs, about the activity?

What happened a couple days ago? Did you update or change something in your site?

Have you customized s2Member in any way? Do you have must-use plugins added? or 3rd party add-ons?

You could try renaming the current s2 dir to something else, and upload a clean copy. See if that makes any difference.

Another thing to try, would be deactivating the other plugins instead, add s2Member first, see if that odd behavior repeats, and if not, add the other plugins one by one, checking after each.

If some plugin is conflicting with s2Member, then even if you add s2Member last and then you get the problem, doesn’t mean it’s coming from s2. If there is a conflicting plugin, it wouldn’t show the problem until s2 is back there.

Anyway, I’m just trying to guess possibilities so you can troubleshoot, so we find what is really happening.

I look forward to your update! :slight_smile:

disable the encypt function in s2member
it will solve it

1 Like

If PayPal button encryption is the cause of the behavior you’re seeing, then you may find this helpful: Website is slow with encyption on

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Where will I find this option?

hi glandus
in paypal buttons -> paypal account details -> select no for encryption

cheers