S2Member Users always directed to Dashboard and not Login Welcome Page

I use S2member pro and I am having some confounding issues. I deactivated all plugins except S2member, cleared cache, tried a standard wordpress 2017 theme, and I STILL cannot get the login process to default to the login welcome page. I’ve selected the page in the options login welcome page area. I’ve added a URL to the login welcome page. There is something wrong with this plugin. If it won’t work on default wordpress theme with no plugins, what could it be?

No, there is nothing wrong with the plugin. I use it successfully on many sites. You just haven’t configured it correctly.

Go to General Options -> Member Profile Modifications, set the Redirect to Yes and hit Save All Changes at the bottom.

This is already set to “yes”

It seems that there is a patch issue in the main network admin area
The user-new.php file is in the wp-admin directory. I’m not sure how to manually patch this in the file. I don’t know php very well at all.

// Modified for full plugin compatiblity.
//wpmu_signup_user( $new_user_login, $_REQUEST[ ‘email’ ], array( ‘add_to_blog’ => $wpdb->blogid, ‘new_role’ => $_REQUEST[ ‘role’ ] ) );
wpmu_signup_user( $new_user_login, $_REQUEST[ ‘email’ ], apply_filters( ‘add_signup_meta’, array( ‘add_to_blog’ => $wpdb->blogid, ‘new_role’ => $_REQUEST[ ‘role’ ] ) ) );

I get htis on the network patch area for s2member

“Your /wp-admin/user-new.php file could NOT be patched. Unverifiable.”

So you are using multisite. Why didn’t you say?

Itt appears there is a bug in the login widget. I could be wrong. But here is what devs at WPMUDEV said.

WPMU DEV Community noreply@wpmudev.org
10:26 AM (1 hour ago)

to me
There is a new post on [Redirect setting does not work only on 1 subsite]

Reply by: Dimitris

Hello there Thomas
I made some tests using only S2Member plugins (I downloaded both versions from your server, to be sure that we’re using the same code) and I think that this is a bug with S2Member Pro Login Widget, as I was able to replicate the same issue, without using any other plugins and a default theme (TwentySeventeen).
Despite that I selected a custom page in S2Member -> General Options -> Login Welcome Page and used “Login Welcome Page” as an option in the “Redirection After Login” in the login widget, my testing users keep redirecting to /wp-admin/.
I even tried to surpass that, using a custom snippet, with no avail though.
You can also see the code in wp-content/mu-plugins/login-redirect.php (already disabled it).
<?php
function conditional_login_redirect() {
if ( 94 == get_current_blog_id() ) {
add_filter( ‘login_redirect’, function( $url, $query, $user ) {
$return_url = ‘https://your-mapped-domain.com/login-welcome-page/’;
return $return_url;
}, 10, 3 );
}
}
add_action(‘init’, ‘conditional_login_redirect’);
As this seems a solely plugin issue, I’d rather advise to contact its authors about it, as this actually surpasses the scope of our support. Hope you understand! :slight_smile:
Reference: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-1 (“WPMU DEV Support vs. Custom Development”)
Warm regards,
Dimitris

I have also reproduced this issue on two separate sites using wordpress 2016 theme and s2member.

There in s2M options is a page to set s2M (Pro version only) with WPMU, did you set?

If you are referring to the patches in the main network settings, yes. That patch has been generated. However, the user-new.php was unable to be patched due to permission issues. I went to that file and modified the permissions, but the patch on that file wouldn’t work. So I reverted back to the original file permissions. I’m thinking this could be the problem. I’m not knowledgable on php, so modifying the file with the manual code is unfamiliar to me, and I don’t know if it is just something I add to the file, and if so where? or is the code patch something that replaces something that is aready there? I have people signing up, and everything else is working just fine, or so it seems, until I had a few people tell me they signed up and “it’s telling me I’m not a paid member.”

Given all of that, this points to this user-new.php file. Any detailed advice as to how to manually patch this file would be appreciated.

Also, I’m just running s2member pro on one site, and it is not the main domain of the multisite. I’ve tried this with s2member network active and I have tried this with s2member active only on the site which is using this. I’m not certain which activation choice is appropriate or required given this scenario.

Tim,

So now that you know I use multi-site is that when you tell a customer to take a hike? What gives? Is this the type of service customers can expect from you? This issues has been replicated on two different servers. WPMU devs easily replicated the issue with Wordpress 2016 theme and no plugins activated.

So. I’m a little put back by having spent the money to get this product and your curt response to someone who bought your product, has setup the entire product with no request for any assistance except for a login redirect issue.

Ha, ha!

You’re not my customer.

No idea what you you’re talking about, mate.

You didn’t buy my product.

If you had done a little research before you started posting on this forum, you would have known that this is not a support forum. No-one provides customer support here. But you couldn’t be bothered.

If you had looked me up at all, you would have seen that I am just a user of s2Member. I didn’t develop the product, and am not on the s2Member team. But you couldn’t be bothered.

You asked a question, but did you mention the important detail that you were using multisite? No, you couldn’t be bothered.

Have you apologized that for failure to mention that detail just wasted my time? No, you couldn’t be bothered.

So whether you take a hike or not is immaterial to me. I can’t be bothered.

I did buy your product. I have the license key if you would like. I purchased a multisite install. and for your information, your automated network patch doesn’t work. The patch didn’t fully apply to wp-login.php and wouldn’t apply at all to user-new.php. We have examined the patch after applying. You have others who experience this problem. You can’t be bothered to answer why your product doesn’t work as advertised? What a shame.

I’ll report the bug in case someone else hasn’t already. We’ll get this bug worked out now that we know what it is.

Your reply made me laugh so much that I found that I could be bothered to reply after all!

No, you really didn’t!

It’s not my automated patch.

No, I really don’t.

Since it isn’t my product, you are barking up entirely the wrong tree.

Try reading what I wrote again. Or try this:

s2Member is not my product. I didn’t create it. I don’t work for s2Member/WebSharks. I am not a support rep. I have received no money, either directly or indirectly, from any purchase you might have made.

Got it now!!!

@tgarmon You have a PM.

The plugin would not make the proper patches to the network files. user-new failed completely and another patch only partially applied. I have a pre 3.4 install version of multisite, so I am not sure if the plugin is not addressing this or not