S2Member Pro Not Showing in Plug-In List

I’ve getting the message: “Your s2Member Pro Add-on must be updated to v170221+”. The auto update via my username and password fails with a “Upgrade failed. Connection failed (please try again)” message. Retry doesn’t work. I’ve manually updated Pro via FTP but the Pro add-on is not displayed in my plug-ins (the standard framework is) and the above “must be updated” message still appears. I’ve deactivated and reactivated the standard framework but nothing changes.

Any help appreciated.

Just to clarify, when s2Member Pro is enabled it will be shown in the same section with the s2Member Framework, not as a separate plugin. The version will show as:

Version 170221 + s2Member Pro v170221

1 Like

Yes, my plug-in list displays only the base framework plug-in (no “+ s2Member Pro v170221”) even though the directory is there with the latest version of Pro installed via FTP. The auto update failed causing me to go the FTP route. I’ve deactivated/activated the base plugin but nothing changes. My system knows Pro should be installed as I still the the upgrade nag.

Is going back to an earlier version an optio? Can these be downloaded somewhere?

Thanks for any additional help.

You must repeat same manual upgrade with s2M Pro module, you will find it in your 2M account.

Thanks, Krum. I tried FTP updating of both the Framework and Pro from fresh downloads but still have the same issues I’d previously mentioned. The system knows I use Pro because it nags about upgrading. I tried again but the auto update still fails with this error message: “Upgrade failed. Connection failed (please try again)”. I trying again and again but it never works. Despite the nag to upgrade to Pro, my plugin list doesn’t show it installed. I also tried deactivation/reactivating the Framework but nothing changes.

Thanks for any new suggestions.

If you get that message after downloading the latests version of Pro from your s2member account, and then uploading it via FTP, it means that either you haven’t uploaded it correctly or else the FTP upload didn’t actually happen. But in that case, your FTP client would tell you that the upload didn’t work, and you haven’t mentioned that. Which suggests that you have made an error somewhere.

If you haven’t made an error, then I suspect that your file or folder permissions are set incorrectly, so that they can’t be overwritten by new versions.

Tim, thank. I’ve actually FTPed the latest versions three times and still get the same issue. I’ve visually compared the files and directories in the Pro plug-in and they’re all there. My permission on all S2Member folders was 755; I set the Pro folder to 777 but that made no difference.

The original install of S2Member and Pro goes back 6 or 7 years. I’ve had no issues until now. The auto update of the Framework to 170221 went fine. My first indication of an issue was the failure of the login update to Pro immediately following the Framework update. It failed (and still does) with this error: “Upgrade failed. Connection failed (please try again)”. Trying again doesn’t work.

I appreciate any additional help. I’ve installed no new plug-ins and/or themes in 6 months or more. If this is a conflict with another plug-in, it’s new to the latest S2Membert release level.

Is it possible to roll-back to an older release? If so, can these be downloaded?

I had that happen with a recent update to Comet Cache, but uploading via FTP fixed it immediately.

What I suggest is trying via FTP with the latest version again, documenting each step, and noting the response you get from FileZilla (or whatever you’re using) when you attempt to update. Then you can report all that here.

Otherwise, I don’t think we’re going to be of much help. Unless you are running a very old version of PHP, I doubt that rolling back to a previous version would help because it’s the installation that’s the problem, not the functionality after installation.

Tim, thanks. I’d don’t use a caching plug-in on this site or I would try disabling it.

I use CuteFTP (a paid premium FTP client). In all three uploads, it reports no errors and my visual inspection confirms that all files are indeed there.

I’m using PHP v 5.6.8.

The Framework doesn’t report Pro as being installed though it knows it should be as evidenced by the Pro upgrade nag. Do you know what the framework looks for (a specific file?) to know the Pro plug-in is there? I could then confirm its presence.

Theme or plugin conflict?

The problem with that is that it knows that a Pro version other than the current one is installed. Otherwise you wouldn’t get the upgrade nag. That suggests that the FTP update is failing somewhere, but CuteFTP doesn’t realize this.

Since no-one else has reported this issue, my guess is that the problem with the FTP approach lies with CuteFTP. Pretty much everyone else uses FileZilla, so I’d try that instead.

It sounds to me like there is something in the database showing an older version of s2Member Pro being installed. There was an issue with Comet Cache when it was first renamed that was similar. Of course, that issue was caused by the renaming of the plugin and that hasn’t happened with s2Member.

What I would suggest is that you clone the site to a test server and completely uninstall s2Member Pro and s2Member on the test server. See this KBA: https://s2member.com/kb-article/how-do-i-uninstall-s2member/. Then upload both the framework and s2Member Pro via FTP. See if that fixes the issue.

Document this entire process!

If it does fix the issue, you have 2 choices:

1. Repeat the process on your production server and then reconfigure s2Member. I know that sucks.

2. Open a GitHub issue being as thorough as you can in explaining what you’ve done, what theme you are using, and what other plugins you are using.

Otherwise, you can open a GitHub issue now, but you may end up doing what I’ve suggested in the end anyway.

I just had a similar issue, but not related to FTP. We just upgraded Wordpress to 4.7.4 and now can’t update s2Member Pro.

Keep getting the error message: “Upgrade failed. Connection failed (please try again).”

See image below.

I’m not sure what the problem is, but I’d suggest you login to s2member.com, download the new version, and upgrade via FTP. Assuming, that is, that you’ve verified that your credentials are correct.

1 Like

I’m having the same issue as William - did you ever find a solution?
The only difference is that my update on the plugin page looks like it goes through even though it doesn’t. I’ve tried updating Pro through FTP (FileZilla) also and I get visual confirmation of it working.
What gives?

So it isn’t the same problem, and you shouldn’t be hijacking someone else’s thread. I have replied to you on the thread you’ve (correctly) started.