s2Member not sending emails

Hi,
I tried searching the forums but couldn’t come up with a solution.

After submitting payment information, the user receives confirmation from Paypal. However, the user registration email is not received. It doesn’t go to spam, and my Postman SMTP & logging shows nothing, which I’m assuming means that S2Member is never sending it.

I am stuck and not sure where to go from here… can someone please assist? I am using Godaddy and have tested that regular emails (e.g. from contact forms) work fine.

Thanks in advance

1 Like
  1. If you register a User normally through WordPress is a confirmation email sent?

2. Are users being properly registered with the Pro-Form – that is, is the confirmation email the only problem you are having with s2Member?

1. If you register a User normally through WordPress is a confirmation email sent?
    Yes, they get a confirmation email

2. Are users being properly registered with the Pro-Form – that is, is the confirmation email the only problem you are having with s2Member?
    Ok, maybe I am misunderstanding how the flow is supposed to go. I am using the free version and do not have pro-forms. I just have Paypal buttons. I thought based on the knowledge docs, the flow would be:
    User clicks on Paypal button to sign up for a membership (e.g. bronze ) > User is redirected to Paypal where they subscribe & submit payment info > user receives a Paypal confirmation email and a confirmation email which provides a link for them to register on the website using the default WP registration form. Is that not the correct flow? People are receiving the Paypal confirmation email, but not the one with the link to register

Thanks

If you don’t have s2Member logging turned on, turn it on and run a couple of test transactions. Check the logs to see if s2Member is reporting anything unusual. If you don’t recognize anything as unusual and would like me to look at the logs, PM me. Those logs contain personal information and should not be shared here and people who know that always want to “edit” entire lines of the logs making them virtually unusable. :wink:

Hi,
Thanks. Which log files do you need? It doesn’t look like I can initiate a PM… are you able to please PM me first? thanks, I appreciate your help

check on github the various open s2member bugs related to paypal - sadly it’s fully normal that s2member loses about 0.5-2% of paypal payments - if you have echeck/bank transfer activated, then count on 30% of those payments going havoc someway too (registered even though payment failed or accounted double is very likely here sometimes lost of course too) - even though paypal IPN properly delivers - just s2member not knowing what to do with the 2 IPN message instead of 1 IPN message confirmation.

S2member is in serious need of a rework of the paypal IPN treatment.

The reason why this is mostly not debated here is that most don’t even notice - I check through all paypal payments each 3 months vs s2member registrations - so I do notice. I long time thought the error lies with paypal or my server missing the IPN message - since I turned on logging I noticed 99.9% of all those errors causing me many many hours of manual correction/work are actually s2member not up to date with current paypal standards (and never implemented bank transfer/e-check 2 part IPN message).

thanks for the info. I will keep an eye on that. My issue is not with receiving the Payment. The payment every time (at least so far! ) has gone through successfully. However, once the payment goes through, the user is never receiving the email with the registration link to sign up. I have logging enabled but I don’t know what I should be looking at to resolve it…

never should not be - that’s a config problem. Sporadically s2member dropping payment means s2member drops the incoming IPN because it does not know what to do with it - payment is done before - so of course payment always arrives.