s2Member and PHP 7

I updated our site to PHP 7.0.12 last week and I am now noticing that s2Member settings paged in the admin area are all blank. Is s2Member not compatible with PHP 7. I noticed that the web hooks were failing too but I can’t remember if this started after the update or not.

Any info on this subject would be helpful.

Ross

Hey Ross,

We run s2Member on the latest version of PHP 7 ourselves and we haven’t had any problems. We also haven’t had any other reports of issues with PHP 7 and s2Member, so I suspect you’re seeing something related to your local environment. It sounds to me like this could be cache-related, possibly the PHP OPCache, or Varnish, or even your browser cache.

Thanks, I think it could be my CDN that is causing the issue. That was another thing we upgraded last week. Does anyone else have issues with CDNs.

Also is it wise to use PHP FastCGI or is that not a good thing?

Ross

I just now saw that Comet Cache has a CDN option to clear the cache so I enabled it. I will let you know if that fixes it.

I still am interested on knowing if PHP 7 FastCGI is a bad thing or not for s2member. I have the standard selected but would like to speed things up a bit more with FastCGI if that is a good option to go with.

Ross

Hi raamdev,

It looks like something broke a few things in s2Member
This includes the followings, should I just reinstall s2Member, will this fix this issue?

Uncaught ReferenceError: jQuery is not defined
at ap-tabs.js:2
jquery.sprintf.min.js:1
wp-content/plugins/s2member/src/includes/jquery/jquery.sprintf/jquery.sprintf.min.js?ver=170221-170221-3159395306

at jquery.sprintf.min.js:1
jquery.json-ps.min.js:1
wp-content/plugins/s2member/src/includes/jquery/jquery.json-ps/jquery.json-ps.min.js?ver=170221-170221-3159395306

at jquery.json-ps.min.js:1
jquery.ui-effects.min.js:1
wp-content/plugins/s2member/src/includes/jquery/jquery.ui-effects/jquery.ui-effects.min.js?ver=170221-170221-3159395306

at admin.php:1
wp-admin/admin.php?ws_plugin__s2member_menu_pages_js=102056395&ver=170221-170221-3159395306

Any info would be great.

Ross

Yes, that sounds like the best option. I noticed those errors contain version strings for the old version (?ver=170221-170221), which tells me something from the old version is getting cached, perhaps in your browser. I suggest clearing your browser cache and reinstalling (see https://s2member.com/updating/).

Just wanted to confirm that, yes, these files do still exist in the most recent release of s2Member. So seeing warnings like this would indicate there are files missing in the updated installation directory (e.g., a corrupt installation) or that a browser cache is outdated, or something else we haven’t seen reported yet. At the moment, I can’t reproduce this.

Hi Jason,

Thanks for replying to this thread. It seems Chrome is the issue. If I use Firefox I do not get the errors. I have completely dumped my Chrome Browser history and cache and have reset it back to the stock profile and it still does it. As for now I am going to say this is an issue with Chrome on my system, it has been 6 plus years since I have performed a format and reinstalled everything on Windows 7 workstation.

I had plans to wipe my system every 1-2 years, I have mostly postponed it cause everything is fast and nothing has had issues up until now. My laptop works fine with Chrome so don’t worry about researching this anymore cause I am convinced it is just my computer. I may try to reinstall Chrome but I think it is time to just redo my system.

Ross