Return Url Security Plugin Problem - a quest to resolve an issue

Hi,

I was getting a problem with the return url showing plain text.

Did some digging around and found that it could be to do with a plugin conflict.

Went to my plugins. Found my host (Siteground) installs a Security Plugin, which I think is a fairly new thing and is designed to help protect Wordpress sites. Anyway, when I deactivate the security plugin the return URL displays correctly.

So opened a support chat with Siteground - the security plugin itself has various functions which the support guy suggested switching off one by one to find out which one is causing the issue.

It turns out it was the very first function “Lock and Protect System Folders” - it’s function is to stop unauthorised or malicious scripts being executed in your system folders.

So to get the S2member return url to display correctly I need to disable this function, which potentially leaves the rest of the site vulnerable and obviously not preferable.

The support guy said:
“it seems that the plugin is trying to make some changes in the system folders which is why our plugin’s feature is blocking it. Now I can’t say for sure what needs to be changed in their plugin since I’m not familiar with it sadly, but you can check with their support team in case they have a suggestion as to what might help”.

Further to this, I asked if there were any error messages, he said:
“There is no error message that can be seen, rather perhaps you should ask what are the scripts that are being executed and in which folders, as this is what is causing the problem.”

Now I’m not a coder by any stretch of the imagination, but I thought it would be worth raising this issue with the S2 community to see if there’s a way the issue can be resolved without me switching off the function.

Now, before anybody says change host, I do think SG are good in being proactive with security issues, perhaps a bit dumbed down, but that works for me as this is not my area of expertise.

Anyway, I would be interested to hear your opinions and if there might be a way forward to resolving this long term.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Kind Regards

Duncan