Restrict Membership by age

Hi

With the new GDPR Regulations coming into effect on May 28th we need to be able to add a conditional logic for a DOB field.
Under the new GDPR you cannot legally sign up for an online service if you are under the age of 13.
I cannot find anything that even remotely tells me how we can create an age related conditional logic based on a Date Entry during sign up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I can’t be the only one that needs this specific restriction.
It would be a good idea to have it built in :slight_smile:

You just use s2Member’s custom fields facility. One field would say something like “I am over 13 years of age.” A second would be a checkbox, and you would make this box required.

Yes I understand that but the new GDPR Laws mean we need to be able to ensuring that it is true.
A checkbox that a 10 yr old can check isn’t enough under the new regulations.
IE: enter Date of Birth - Background confirms the math that the user is over the age of 13.

Just a note: Non compliance of the GDPR: Fines start at 10 Million Euros or 4% of gross turnover whichever is greater.
So it’s a bit serious :slight_smile:

You can’t actually ensure that it is true, though, can you? At least, not from just an online form.

So you just add whatever other fields you want.

Well no not a 100% as they can put in a fake DOB, however it will cut down on the number of underage kids registering for the site.
Based on the fact that s2 already monitors the date it shouldn’t be difficult to create a conditional logic that limits the dob to no less than 13 years from today’s date.

Maybe, but I doubt that will happen. The technical challenge is no less than other conditional logic requirements, and the devs have shied away from adding such capability on the grounds that it is best handled by a dedicated forms plugin.

On the other hand, you could try adding the necessary code yourself. See this, for example: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1812589/validate-if-age-is-over-18-years-old