That's weird because adding a custom capability as shown in my screenshot didn't work, but creating a new test capability named "access_s2member_ccap_a" worked perfectly. I checked everywhere I could think of that I could have a level assigned (widget, Restriction Options) and neither of those were set for the pages in question.
I tested it before, but I think I still had a level assigned which caused it not to work.
This was referencing the time I tested the "access_s2member_ccap_" naming convention. Sorry for not being clear on that. No level was assigned when testing the other custom capabilities.
If I could use my current custom capabilities (without "access_s2member_ccap_"), that would be great as I wouldn't have to go through the site and update all of the shortcodes we have already added, but I still can't get those capabilities to work with the ccap box. If it were a plugin conflict, then I would assume it still wouldn't work even when testing the "access_s2member_ccap_" capabilities.
All the testing I've done seems to point to the naming convention being the problem, but I'd love any other suggestions for getting the ccap box to work using my existing capabilities.