Registration form not returning all fields in notification

We have quite a few custom fields on our registration form, however not all fields are being returned in the notification.

All fields are required, and when I test the form, it won’t let me submit it unless all fields have been filled out, but we still get new user notifications that don’t have the information from all the fields, as if people aren’t getting the correct registration form. We did add 2 fields a couple of months ago and it’s almost as if people are seeing a cached version of the form, however when I go to it, everything is correct.

Here is the URL for our form > https://companionsofwisdom.org/wp-login.php?action=register

I’m not sure what other info I can provide at this point that would be helpful, but I would appreciate any insight anyone would have on this so I can get it fixed. I can’t provide the returned form unfortunately as the info is sensitive and I do not want to post it in this forum.

Are the custom fields missing ONLY from the notifications? That is, are they being saved properly to the database?

Hi Theresa.

When you talk about notifications, which ones do you mean?

The s2member Notifications API? WP Admin > s2Member > API / Notifications > Signup / Registration

The new user email that gets sent to the admin? WP Admin > s2Member > General Options > Email Configuration > Admin: New User Notification

Did you customize them so all your custom profile fields are included in the email?

:slight_smile:

Hi Cristian,
I am new to this plugin, having recently taken over for someone else, so I didn’t know that the return email to admins had to be altered. That is done now, so hopefully the next one will work.

Another question however, as I look around more. The new fields are in the user profile, however the data is NOT. Should it be, or would that not happen until I added the field into the admin email?

The custom registration fields should be in the user’s profile, yes. So, they appear to not be saving correctly.

Yes, the fields are there now, but from what the site owner is telling me, they were not there before I added the fields into the admin notification email. I can’t totally verify if this is actually true or not however, she doesn’t always notice things.

I’m wondering if the fields are added to the profile when I add them to the form, or not until I add them to the admin email?

If they fields are put in the profile when I add them to the form, then yes, there’s an issue of the data not being reported properly.

Sorry, I got a bit confused there… Could you please explain your question some more in a different way?

Let me see if I can clear up how those parts work in relation to custom profile fields:

You create the custom fields from s2’s General Options.

This will show the fields in the registration forms, and in the user profiles, and these two places would allow you to enter values into those fields for the user.

The users list, or the emails, can use the custom field values, but they don’t control the field’s values. So whethere you use the custom field in the email or not, doesn’t affect the field itself at all.

If you create a custom field, it will now be available in the profile of users that existed from before the field was created, but they won’t have a value, even if it’s a required field, because no value was entered yet, since the field didn’t exist when the user was created.

Does the above help clarify things a bit? :slight_smile:

Yes, thank you, that explains how it is supposed to work.

So, there was a form created previously and she wanted to add a few more fields to it. I added those fields, but didn’t add them in the email notification until just yesterday of course.

If someone went to fill out the form and they would have to fill in all the fields as they are all required, the data should be in their profile then, yes?

So I think we may still have a problem, because the data from the 3 new fields that we’ve added is not showing up in their profiles.

Right.

The users registered after the required fields were added, should have a value for those fields.

Are you able to reproduce the problem in your tests? I mean, register a new user without entering a value; or entering a value but then not seeing it in the profile’s field.

Is that something happening for every single user that registers, or only some?

The users did register after the fields were added, so I’m not sure why the info isn’t there, but I just did a test and all the info was in the test user profile, so I guess we’re good for now. Thanks so much for all the help :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wonderful! :smiley:

Let me know if you need help again.