Reactivated Users & Stripe/s2Member

Hello,

Hoping someone will have a suggestion for me here…I will try to lay it out step by step.

When a new user comes to my site and creates a paid account, they are assigned Level 1 access and their Paid Subscr. ID on their profile is populated with the recurring subscription number from Stripe.

When that paying user cancels their account, s2Member demotes them down to a Subscriber. All is well there.

However, at this time, that users Paid Subscr. ID, which ties them back to their Stripe account, remains populated in that custom field.

All is well, except for when that user wants to come back and reactivate their account.

When they come back and create a new subscription/reactivate, that field is not populated with their new Paid Subscr. ID, it is still the old one, so when they go to their account page on my site, it says “Nothing to Update - No recurring Subscription” because the DB is looking back at that original Paid Subscr. ID which was cancelled.

Does anyone know how to reconcile this, or am I approaching it in the wrong way?

Thank you.

You need to ensure that someone seeking to reactivate their subscription is both logged-in and using a Billing Modification form.

2 Likes

Tim, perfect, I think that was the missing ingredient…I really only had the checkout form…so when someone came back, I dropped them on that. Now I have created an identical page with modification forms, I think that will do the trick!

On another note, for subs who have reactivated up to this point, can I just manually change the Stripe Customer ID field in the backend profile and show them that they have an active sub? Or is there something else tied to it?

Great!

But, no, don’t change the customer ID; that’s set by Stripe so you risk breaking something if you change it manually.

If you want to show active members that they are indeed active, you can just check for their role. If they have a current s2Member role, then they must be active.

1 Like

Thanks Tim…so currently how it works is that they can access the site, that usually not a problem. The problem is because I took them through the wrong reactivation process, where they created a new account, that field in the backend is not being updated.

So when they go to their account page to update billing, or cancel account…they will see a s2member notification that “they have no recurring subscriptions” or “nothing to cancel”.

this was my fault obviously, and if it means I just ride it out with those who went through the wrong process and make it right from here with the new ones, that is what I will do, but if there is a way i can manually do it, it would be good to clean it up.

Let me know your thoughts.

Sorry, but I’m afraid I don’t know if there’s another way to handle that other than just ride it out. Someone else here might have an idea, though …

Perfect, that’s not a problem…I’ve gotten away with doing it that way, just want to clean it up moving forward, grats!