Question about pages not being cached

Hello again. :slight_smile: For some reason, Comet Cache includes this message at the bottom of pages I think it should be caching:

<!-- Comet Cache is NOT caching this page, because the current user visiting this page (usually YOU), appears to be logged-in. The current configuration says NOT to cache pages for logged-in visitors. This message may also appear if you have an active PHP session on this site, or if you've left (or replied to) a comment recently. If this message continues, please clear your cookies and try again. -->

Here is what I did:

1. Logged in to Wordpress using Firefox 44
  2. Cleared the Comet Cache
  3. Logged out of Wordpress
  4. Opened Opera 12.16
  5. Viewed my blog
  6. Viewed the HTML source of the main blog page
  7. The message above was contained at the bottom of the page

Why would the above message appeared if I accessed the blog using a browser I never even logged in to Wordpress with? Both Firefox and Opera are running on the same machine.

Thanks!

Peace…

The obvious question is why are you using Opera 12.16. I think it’s now on version 34.

Two reasons:

1. It’s a version of Opera I keep around to see how Presto renders current HTML5 pages
  2. It’s another browser I don’t use much I keep handy for random tests, like the one above

On another system entirely, I used Opera 40-something (Opera is now in its “40s” :)) and encountered similar results. I view the page from Firefox 49 and then with Opera 40 and I get the same message shown above. I can gather info from that machine, if that would help. I can clear the cache and view the page from this other machine (using two different browsers) and can report back the results.

In any event, I just don’t understand why Comet Cache would think I’m a logged in user when using a browser I’ve never logged into Wordpress from.

Thanks!

If you have a certain cookie in your browser, Comet Cache will pick that up and treat you as logged-in. For example, if you ever leave a comment on the site, a cookie is created by WordPress that Comet Cache treats as a logged-in user and won’t cache the page (so that you can see the comment you just posted). This is normal behavior.

I suggest clearing all of Opera’s browser cache to see if that resolves the issue.

@tomdkat: Yes, you’re right about the version of Opera: version 41, my computer says. Just didn’t have it in front of me before.

But I’m still curious: are you hoping to revive Presto?

I have also tried reproducing the behavior you describe (using Firefox and Opera) but I can’t. It is working as expected for me. So I’m wondering if you have a plugin conflict.

Would it be possible to get your site URL so that we can try viewing the HTML source on our end?

No, I’m not hoping to revive Presto but I like to see what it’s capable of with modern HTML5 sites. :slight_smile: Plus, Opera 12 still has some features I like not (yet) in current versions of Opera.

I might have a plugin conflict and I’ll certainly look into that. :slight_smile:

Yes, I can post the URL to the blog:

www.leonadarnell.com/blog/

So, when I view the main blog page and look at the source, I see the message I posted above. However, if I view one of the blog articles, the article is cached. It’s not a huge deal, just something I wondered about. I conducted another test where I looked at the HTTP communication, in the browser, and I did see some cookies being sent and passed around but I didn’t know which cookie might trigger the “do not cache” behavior.

Thanks!

Peace…

Any ideas on why the main blog page isn’t being cached but individual article pages are?

Thanks!

Peace…

Hey Tom,

I took a look at the site and I do see what you mean — it’s showing that “because you’re logged in” message in the HTML Notes for me too, which makes no sense since that was my first time visiting the site.

The only suggestion that I have for diagnosing this issue would be to try temporarily deactivating other plugins one-by-one and re-testing to see if the issue goes away. I have not been able to reproduce this issue in any of my test sites and this is the first report like this that I’ve seen (with 100k+ active installs of Comet Cache around the world). So I’d say it’s either another plugin and/or your WordPress theme (temporarily switching to the default Twenty Fifteen theme would be a way to test that).

See also: Testing Comet Cache in a Clean WordPress Installation

Thanks for taking a look. :slight_smile: Since that message is triggered by a cookie, which cookie triggers that message?

Thanks!

Peace…

The comment_author* cookies will trigger that message; see this URL: https://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Cookies#Commenters

If you have a wordpress_* or a wordpress_logged_in_* cookie, which are the cookies that are set when you login to the Dashboard, that will also trigger that message.

I just took another look at your site and it seems that things are working correctly now, as I’m not seeing any note at the bottom of the HTML source of your pages that indicate I’m logged in. Instead I see the message I’d expect, saying that Comet Cache is caching the page.