Question about Comet Cache and PHP versions supported

Hi! I’m a new Comet Cache user after being a long-time W3 Total Cache user. I’m helping a friend move her Wordpress blog from one hosting service to another. After getting everything moved, I encountered crashes with W3 Total Cache and somehow deduced it’s due to the PHP version being run on the new server.

So, I decided to give Comet Cache a try and so far, it’s running without crashes. However, when I scan it using the WP PHP Compatibility plugin, it detects Comet Cache as not being compatible with PHP versions 5.5, 5.6, or 7.0.

Question: which versions of PHP does Comet Cache work with AND work best with. If there’s any particular version of PHP that Comet Cache runs best with, that would be good to know. :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance!

Peace…

Tom

Here are some FAQs about Comet Cache: https://cometcache.com/faqs/ You’ll see that it works with any version of PHP from 5.4 onwards. I’ve never heard of anyone having problems with it running on a version of PHP from 5.4 onwards, so I think your compatibility scanner plugin is giving you a false alarm.

It’s always best to use the latest available version of PHP because that in itself provides speed and security improvements. I am currently using Comet Cache Pro on sites running PHP7, and it’s working flawlessly.

Just checked the WP PHP Compatibility plugin’s wordpress.org site, and have seen the review by @redsand: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/too-many-false-positives-not-fully-baked-poor-support/

I think you need to take note. He knows what he’s talking about, and I simply wouldn’t use that plugin.

I can confirm that Comet Cache is fully compatible with PHP 5.4+. Those PHP Compatibility checkers have a lot of issues with accuracy and often report false positives (or just completely wrong) information. It’s best to go with what the plugin author says, as plugin authors usually run their own tests against each version of PHP to ensure that the plugin works as expected. (We run in production environments on PHP 5.4 and PHP 7 and we’re constantly testing to ensure continued compatibility.)

Thanks for the replies and for the info! Sorry for the delayed response but I’ve been swamped. :frowning:

Thanks!

Peace…

Cache stuff is strong when comes to Dev stories, as I’ve been leveraging php redis extension and came into the conclusion that it provides slight advantage over other in-memory caches in that it allows a user to store pieces of data in a much more structured, durable, and robust manner. Thanks for sharing the thread! :slight_smile: