(Pro) Login Welcome page Redirects to Registration Page (Buddypress)

Hi,

I saw a topic about this earlier but unfortunately my case looks to be a bit different. I am using Buddypress and I want my login welcome page to be the profile for that member. However, I also don’t want “/members/” to be available to the public, so I have put a restriction on that page. This would appear to then lead to my redirect… which is the problem.

Do you know how to solve this issue?

Thanks in advance,

s2Member always protects the Login Welcome Page. It is never accessible unless logged in. So if you are using a Special Login URI to the Member Profile as your LWP, you should not restrict access in any other way.

Hi Pat,

Thanks for your response. I’ve taken off the additional restriction on the members page.

Unfortunately it still looks like I’m getting a weird redirection to the registration page. I’ll try troubleshooting on my own and get back to you.

Hi again,

So, clearing my browser cache and ensuring that /members/ page does not have restrictions on it has not resolved the issue. I am still consistently redirected to my membership options page. Also, my /members/ page is an item on my main menu, and I’d prefer not to have it show up for visitors who are not logged in (and it does if I take off all restrictions on it, even if its not directly accessible which is less than ideal since I was to understand that alternative view protection would prevent this from happening).

Any ideas? Thank you again.

Can you post here the full URL that you get when that happens?

Just use the Nav Menu Roles plugin to control visibility.

1 Like

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your response. As for the plugin, I thought that alternative views was the feature that removed the necessity for Nav Menu Roles?

So the URL i get when I log in is this:

http://www.catably.com/sign-up/?_s2member_vars=ruri..level..0..page..3463..L21lbWJlcnMv&_s2member_sig=1492704804-d0af1bfde18261039a55dfd6cfee60ce

which is really weird because page 3463 is the /members/ page and i have explicitly checked that that page no longer has any restrictions…

That URL tells me that you have, in fact, restricted the page at level 0. You need to check that the s2Member modal block on the edit/admin screen for this page is set to blank, and then hit Update.

Only if both the following conditions are true:

1. You don’t change the default s2Member settings.

2. You want the menu item visibility to match the visibility of the posts/pages to which the menu items link. (Many people want to use the menu items as teasers instead.)

If neither is true, the Nav Menu Roles plugin gives you the ability to do what you want. It’s also well-written and reliable and id developed by, in my experience, one of the best developers on wordpress.org

Thanks Tim,

The second issue seems pretty well addressed and ill keep those things in mind.

As for the original issue, the members page I had originally set to Level #0 using the modal block, but I have since switched it back (and then, just now, switched it on and off again to try to reset it again). I can show a screenshot if you’d like; the modal block is blank for that page, indicating no restrictions. Still, it’s giving the same kind of URL and redirection upon login… I’m not quite sure what else to do other than deleting the page and starting over to “unstick” this setting. Any thoughts?

Ben, in that case, the page is getting caught by some other restriction you’ve set, such as by category, tag, or URI.

To close out this topic with my resolution, I ultimately just had to simply delete entirely and recreate the page, which wasn’t too big of a deal at this point since the site is in development. Still, in terms of restrictions on posts or categories, I remain pretty mystified since it wasn’t a post (it was a page), and it didn’t have categories or tags.

The only thing I can think of, now that I look at it again, is that in URI restrictions, I added “/members/”, but I did that simply because it was listed within the S2Member description itself as an example of what you would use for URIs with BuddyPress.

P.S. If I take off restrictions for /members/ in URI restrictions, the page is fully accessible for the logged-out public despite /members/%%current_user_nicename%%/profile/ being part of my special redirection URL in the login welcome page.

You are between a rock and a hard place, aren’t you? If it were me I would not use the BuddyPress Profile page as my LWP. If you want everything that is on that Page to be on the LWP, make it so by creating a page that mimics the Profile page.

That’s as expected. The automatic protection of the LWP doesn’t happen if you use a special redirection. And that URI protection was indeed why your "members" page was protected.