Podcast Problems

I’m trying to use s2member to run a premium podcast feed. The RSS feed and files are all on Amazon s3 and Cloudfront.

I can access the RSS feed, but I can’t get any episodes to download. I just get a 401 unauthorised error. I can visit the enclosure links in a browser and get the files just fine. Also, for some reason, iTunes seems to work ok but it does ask me to reauthorise twice.

I’ve looked into all kinds of solutions. I thought I might be getting some sort of help from the makers of s2member but they just stopped emailing me back in the middle of the conversation, and that was a couple of months ago.

I’ve tried fiddling with my htaccess file. Here’s what it looks like at the moment:

RewriteRule .* - [E=HTTP_AUTHORIZATION:%{HTTP:Authorization}]

# BEGIN s2Member GZIP exclusions
<IfModule rewrite_module>
	RewriteEngine On
	RewriteBase /
	RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (^|\?|&)s2member_file_download\=.+ [OR]
	RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (^|\?|&)no-gzip\=1
	RewriteRule .* - [E=no-gzip:1]
</IfModule>
# END s2Member GZIP exclusions

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress

RewriteRule .* - [E=HTTP_AUTHORIZATION:%{HTTP:Authorization},L]

I honestly don’t know what to try at this point. I’ve even tried a couple of different hosting providers, and of course, turning off all my plugins. I even tried a completely fresh instal of WordPress with nothing but s2memeber ever added, and still nothing. If it’s a web host problem, I don’t know what it is, and it’s something that happens with multiple hosts. It’s not a plugin conflict. The only thing I’m really clueless about is the htaccess file.

Can anyone help? I’ve been working on this problem for weeks and I’m no closer to a solution.