Plugin not removing member from active roles when Pay Pal payment not collected

Our system was set up originally to demote paying members to a consumer role when they cancelled their Pay Pal profile or whenever we couldn’t collect via Pay Pal for any reason at all. Then we changed it to simply send notifications when their payment failed, remind them in 5 days and if no response, we set it to delete them from our system after a few more days.

However, this is not working now. I had a failed Pay Pal payment on March 13th and I am still showing this member as active in our users DB. Is there something we’re missing in the S2Member module in order to remove these members from our system? If there is a specific topic in S2Member where we can make the necessary change would you please be so kind as to point us to it?

Thanks in advance
Tim

Hi Tim,

Is this a custom S2Member implementation. I was not aware that any of the feature sequences you described were offered by s2member out-of-the-box. I’m happy to be corrected. Always good to learn something new.

S2member does not own user accounts management…WP core does. So s2member will attach / change payment / subscription / protection metadata to a user account but won’t actually touch the user account. I was not aware that s2member ever deleted user accounts. Does it? I only ask because you mentioned “delete them from our system”.

Our S2Member account was set up by our original webmaster who is no longer with us. Initially, when Pay Pal payments ceased, for whatever reason, our members were demoted to “Consumer” status which allowed them access to public posts but not protected content. Later, I requested it to be changed so that failed payments received two notifications and if the member didn’t update their Pay Pal data or just failed to respond, they were completely removed from the system. This was working just fine until recently. Now, if payments are not received the member is still remaining active in the user data base.

Our S2Member plugin communicates with Pay Pal so is this a hiccup with S2M or Pay Pal? I’ve checked the S2M settings and they appear to be the same so I’m just trying to figure out where the gap is that’s allowing expired members to continue to access protected content. I suspect this could be tied to a recent S2M update but I do not know who to contact to verify that.

Thanks
Tim

It sounds like you have some custom code. I could be wrong. Have a look in your mu-plugins which is where s2hacks are placed.

Sorry I don’t know what an mu-plugin is? I am the admin but I didn’t set this up.
Tim

Go to your site admin and look for plugins menu. See if you have any MUST-USE plugins.

Another check is to see if you are using a child-theme. Look under Appearance/Themes admin menu. If that is the case the child theme functions.php file may include some custom code.

I don’t see anything like that Tim. Here’s the latest feedback from my site manager and I would like to know if you’ve seen anything similar to this or if you know of an effective way to solve this issue:

Apr 13, 5:31 PM EDT

Here’s the latest from our developers. They have been able to identify the issue on the staging site and even saw it after deactivating all plugins. At this point we recommend your opening a ticket with them to report the issue.

There is some issue with their EOT removal code.

I have created a test account on staging and then run the EOT cron job using url, It did nothing to any account including Ivor Savage accounts:
http://crazydiamond23.staging.wpengine.com/?s2member_auto_eot_system_via_cr…

Then I set the EOT manually on the test account and run the EOT url, it just removed the test account with EOT set manually.

Also the email log plugin shows, reminder emails are not sent to these users.

So it appears they’ve isolated the problem back to an EOT issue with S2Member. Your thoughts please?

Tim

The EOT code they are referring to was likely installed by your webmaster. Getting it to work as desired would require a techie to access your site to review the cron EOT code and fix it.

In non-tech speak, you’ve taken your Corolla to a dealer to ask them to fix a noisy exhaust system only to be told your previous garage mechanic built his own custom exhaust system.

We can double-check though… @clavaque - question…is EOT cron software to delete users on EOT a standard part of the s2member plugin?

Thanks Tim I appreciate that. My guys are obviously looking into this so the sooner clavaque gets back to you the sooner I can let them know if you’ve found anything out that can assist them in their quest for a fix. I wonder too if this has anything to do with the specific WP theme we’re using-something else to ponder

Question: you mention getting a techie to access my site and fix it. I’ve tried to search and find out if there are S2Member (techie) experts available for this kind of work but I’ve had no luck. If you’re aware of any and are allowed to make referrals I’d appreciate it. Would be good to know for future reference. My guys really do a great job but their work is spread out. Hard for anyone, no matter how good you are, to know everything there is about a specific plugin.

Thanks again
Tim

You only need one good tech to manage your site.

You mention “my guys” …do you have tech guys in your business that could handle this for you?

Your “site manager” appears to be wpengine support. You can count on them for the odd diagnosis but you need a Managed service tech to fix & maintain if your generate any revenue of significance through your site.

Really depends on the size of your online business.

If you message me direct with a link to your website it would be easier for me to suggest options.

Tim I don’t know how to message you directly other than just replying here. How can I do that?

if you click on my face it take you to my profile. There is a message button there.