PayPal Return and Pro-form

Hi guys,

I have created a PayPal pro form that works perfectly for taking payments. I wanted to test it and the following thing happened.

Filled out details, applied discount code, clicked pay now at bottom of Pro-Form, was redirected to PayPal, logged in using my real PayPal account, paid, was returned straight back to the Pro-Form with a message to check my email.

In the email there was no username or password. Just a welcome message.

The user was created in my WP under users and has the PayPal ID assigned and the correct membership level.

The payment has been logged in my paypal account.

How does the user now login if they are not sent a username and password?

I believe I can use the success="" attribute in the shortcode to redirect the user to a nice thank you page, but what is the next step? I thought the pro-form took care of the registration part.

So, at the moment I am missing one part of the process.

The user should be registered once the payment is made – have you checked to see whether they have been added as a “User” (see WordPress => Users)? By default, and with good reason, WordPress does not include a password in registration emails. Is there a link to complete the registration process/create a password in the “welcome email” you mentioned?

I placed a link in the registration email, however when I click on the email link it say “Link invalid” Contact your administrator.

The user is created, so how should they complete the registration process?

If you read the documentation in S2 member paypal pro form it says:

Signup Confirmation Email (required, but the default works fine)
— specifically for s2Member Pro-Form integrations

This email is sent to new Customers after they successfully complete a PayPal “Pro-Form” submission on your site. The primary purpose of this email is to provide the Customer with a receipt, and NOT to send them a %%registration_url%%, because PayPal Pro-Form integration handles that automatically; based on scenario. You may want to customize this email further by providing details that are specifically geared to your site.

So, as I am using the Pro-form with standard paypal account I assume the user should get their password somehow.

Guys, if I am missing something silly, could someone please point it out :frowning:

Sounds like there might be an issue with the way the link to complete registration is being created, but I don’t have enough info to tell you what the problem is. You keep saying that your users should bet their password somehow, but by default that password is NOT sent out. Have you changed something in the registration process to allow users to be sent their password? For that matter, do they set a password when they register?

Hi Pat,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I’m not clear on the registration process.

In response to your questions,

1. I have not modified the checkout process to the best of my knowledge
  2. The user did not fill out a password when completing the PayPal pro form, but an account is created in WordPress.

I have read a lot and watched many YouTube tutorials.

This is what I understand:
If a user pays via a standard PayPal button, then they fill out their details, get sent to PayPal, pay, return and then get an email with a link to register.

If a user pays via a paypal pro form on site then the registraron is handled by the pro form.

Since I am using a pro form I don’t understand how the user gets their password if their account is being created when they fill out the pro form.

The text I posted above is copied and pasted directly from the s2 PayPal options within WordPress.

Can someone clarify the purchase and registraron process for PayPal standard buttons and paypal pro forms?

I may have the answer.

I read another one of your posts here.

Seems that if I over ride the standard Wordpress registration email option and allow users to choose their own password, then the pro form shows a password field.

Tomorrow I’ll run an end to end test.

That’s correct as far as the password is concerned. If everything works in your test, then that’s a working option. If you have any desire to troubleshoot the bad links being sent when no password is created at registration, you can take a look at this KBA: https://s2member.com/kb-article/generating-member-registration-access-links/. This will generate “replacement” member registration links, but it might also be helpful in determining what is wrong with the links being sent to the new users via email. Compare the link generated for a specific user to the email they received (I’d create a test user but that’s my process). If there’s a difference, could you post both links here? I’m not sure I can help you but @clavaque might have an idea if he can see both links.

1 Like

Hi Pat,

I have tested both PayPal and Stripe pro forms and they work perfectly now. The user creates their own password and then they are able to login.

Thanks for your help.

2 Likes