PayPal IPN Integration <-> PayPal PDT/Auto-Return

Hi everyone!

I have a few questions on the subject - I have read the knowledgebase entries, but some points are not quite clear to me

1) IPN and PDT do similar tasks, as I understand it.

• Are both needed anyway?
  • This functions are needed for “Simple Buttons” too, I guess (to inform WP/S2member that a payment is completed)? I purchased a “Pro”-Licence, but I think the simple Buttons will do the job here.

2) Configuring two websites on one PayPal Account (for start phase of a relaunch)

The explanation here

says among other things:

Tip: In addition to the default Auto-Return/PDT configuration inside your PayPal Merchant Account the Auto-Return URL is also set on a per-transaction basis from within the PayPal Button shortcode that s2Member generates.
In other words, if you have multiple sites operating on one PayPal account, that is OK. s2Member sets the Auto-Return URL dynamically for each transaction. The result is that the Auto-Return URL configured from within your PayPal account becomes the default which may be overwritten on a per-transaction basis by s2Member.

In my case, there are currently (still) two pages that converge on one PayPal account.

If I understand it correctly, I can only enter ONE IPN url and ONE auto-return url in the paypal account itself. How does this work then?

What is the easiest way to set this up so that the paypal buttons can be tested with small amounts?

Note: I have the annoying problem here that I can’t access the paypal account myself because it’s in another country (like the customer’s office and business address) an Papayl blocks transnationall access. Awkward …I always have to explain to the customer via mail what he should do and can’t just test it by myself.

So I’d be very grateful if someone could give some hints!

Best regards,
Hans

1 Like

That’s an awesome question! I also want to know, since I will likely have another website set up soon and I’d like to be able to do the same!