Paypal and s2Member not talking - is there a manual check?

Just had a user email to say they have paid, but no access to pages they should have… (Am using paypal, s2 free version, ccaps to give page access)

1. How often do they ‘talk’ to each other?
  2. Is there a way to manually sync/make them ‘talk’ paypal and s2member?

If the comms was missed - why? how to prevent this from happening?

Thanks
Dylan

Hi Dylan.

Did you integrate s2Member with PayPal? WP Admin > s2Member > PayPal Options

To test, enable logging and run a couple of test transactions to get some entries to help troubleshoot. WP Admin > s2Member > Logging

How often do they ‘talk’ to each other?

s2Member “talks” to PayPal when the user clicks the button, after that the communication is from PayPal to s2Member on the return, and the notifications.

had a user email to say they have paid, but no access to pages they should have

Try reproducing this behavior.

Was he logged in when the page with the button was loaded?

If he wasn’t logged in, did he register and login after the payment?

Where did he register? wp-login.php or do you have another sign up form?

Did you use s2’s shortcode for the PayPal button?

I look forward to your update. :slight_smile:

This has worked in the past, so yes, they are integrated and I haven’t made any changes that could have undone this…

I know the user registered a few months ago and then went to make a payment recently (not sure how to tell if they were logged in or not), but checking this now, it seems they can make a payment without being logged in?! how do I stop this from happening? i.e. when the paypal button is clicked it checks whether they are logged in…

Am using …/wp-login.php?action=register for registration…

Thanks
Dylan

Thanks for the update. :slight_smile:

To make sure he’s logged in, just protect that page where the button is, with Level 0 restriction. That would be enough.

If he wasn’t logged in, that would explain why his account didn’t get upgraded, the payment went towards a new signup because it wasn’t tied to his account.

but I don’t think I can protect that page because it is the Membership Options page and it says: (always publicly available) underneath it…?

Right, the Membership Options Page is always public, but you can still protect its content using conditionals…

I hope that helps. :slight_smile:

Hi @pa7 Dylan,

What I do, if it helps, with my members is I have them land on a Members Only page, and in that page I put a message about “go here to buy other things”. Sometimes they do purchase without being logged in and I have to manually give them the ccap codes in their account. But I look at it as a way to connect with them more personally and they know in the future to be logged in for purchase.

I suppose you could also put a note on your items to be purchased that if you already have an account, please login first?

Hope that helps!
Gillian

1 Like

Alrighty, thanks @clavaque and @Starbucksamore - i have it working correctly now… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks for the update! I’m very glad you sorted it out. :smiley: