Numerous Paypal/Credit Card failures since last update

Hi,

We’ve seen a large increase in payment failures since the most recent update. The logs show that the payment data is being sent to Paypal, but most are coming back as failed transactions. We’re working with Paypal to see if this is on their end, but thought I’d check here to see if anyone else ran into this issue. Thanks for any feedback!

John

Have you tried reverting back to a previous version to see if you still experience the issue? I’m still using an older version of s2Member (with Pro) and PayPal appears to be working fine.

Thanks, Stephan! I inherited this site with S2Member. Do you know if there is a way to automatically roll back, or do I have to reload the plugin from a backup?

I don’t know of any way to automatically roll back the plugin, so you would need to grab an older version from a backup.

You can also download previous releases from the s2Member website by logging in and then choosing My Account. But I believe you need a Pro license to access the release archive.

FYI - You can download previous releases of wordpress.org plugins from the wordpress.org site if you are not using the pro version.

Thanks all! Rolling back to the previous version worked.

Glad to hear it. Guess I won’t be upgrading to the latest version since I also use PayPal.

@clavaque - any thoughts on this one?

1 Like

Interesting… Nothing was changed for the PayPal integration in the latest releases of s2Member, so I don’t know how it’d affect the behavior.

@johnbza, what version of s2Member are using without problems?

What exactly is the problem when you upgrade to the latest release? Do you have log entries to help understand what may be going on there? WP Admin > s2Member > Log Files

Also, did you have the failed payments with every attempt, or only some? Did you find more details about those failed attempts and maybe something in common between them?

I look forward to your update. :slight_smile:

What version are you using?

I’m using 170722. I know it’s old but it still works fine for me.

1 Like

Hi Cristian,

Working version: 200221

It was a strange issue. After registering, S2Member would welcome the user and log them in, but as soon as they tried to reach premium content, the system would tell them that their membership had lapsed, and would ask them to pay again. It seemed to only happen when the user tried to charge a credit card. It worked if they chose the Paypal checkout option. Paypal told us it was an issue with the user’s card, but it effected many of the customers. As soon as we rolled back to the previous version, the cards started charging fine. Here is an example from the Paypal API log:

LOG ENTRY: Mon Mar 9th, 2020 @ precisely 7:48 pm UTC
PHP v7.1.33 :: WordPress v5.3.2 :: s2Member v200301 :: s2Member Pro v200301
Memory 15.20 MB :: Real Memory 18.00 MB :: Peak Memory 16.07 MB :: Real Peak Memory 18.00 MB

User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 9; VS996) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/80.0.3987.132 Mobile Safari/537.36
-------- Input vars: ( Mon Mar 9, 2020 7:48:23 pm UTC ) --------
array (
‘METHOD’ => ‘CreateRecurringPaymentsProfile’,
‘EMAIL’ => ‘****@yahoo.com’,
‘FIRSTNAME’ => ‘ARSHON’,
‘LASTNAME’ => ‘*****’,
‘SUBSCRIBERNAME’ => ‘ARSHON ****’,
‘DESC’ => ‘$99 recurring charge every 365 days’,
‘PROFILEREFERENCE’ => ‘1615362502:0 D:1 Y~insidemusicmedia.com~2’,
‘INITAMT’ => ‘99.00’,
‘FAILEDINITAMTACTION’ => ‘CancelOnFailure’,
‘CURRENCYCODE’ => ‘USD’,
‘AMT’ => ‘99.00’,
‘TAXAMT’ => ‘0.00’,
‘MAXFAILEDPAYMENTS’ => ‘2’,
‘AUTOBILLOUTAMT’ => ‘AddToNextBilling’,
‘PROFILESTARTDATE’ => ‘2021-03-10T00:00:00Z’,
‘BILLINGPERIOD’ => ‘Year’,
‘TOTALBILLINGCYCLES’ => ‘0’,
‘BILLINGFREQUENCY’ => ‘1’,
‘CREDITCARDTYPE’ => ‘Visa’,
‘ACCT’ => ‘********1103’,
‘EXPDATE’ => ‘102024’,
‘CVV2’ => ‘943’,
‘STREET’ => ‘7356 WARWICK STREET’,
‘CITY’ => ‘DETROIT’,
‘STATE’ => ‘MI’,
‘COUNTRYCODE’ => ‘US’,
‘ZIP’ => ‘48228’,
‘VERSION’ => ‘71.0’,
‘USER’ => '
_api1.earthlink.net’,
‘PWD’ => ‘xxxxxxxx/PWD/SIG’,
‘SIGNATURE’ => ‘xxxxxxxx/PWD/SIG’,
)
-------- Output string/vars: ( Mon Mar 9, 2020 7:48:28 pm UTC ) --------
PROFILEID=I%2dH12TCE8EYRC0&PROFILESTATUS=PendingProfile&TIMESTAMP=2020%2d03%2d09T19%3a48%3a27Z&CORRELATIONID=da81736b559df&ACK=Success&VERSION=71%2e0&BUILD=53816603
array (
‘PROFILEID’ => ‘I-H12TCE8EYRC0’,
‘PROFILESTATUS’ => ‘PendingProfile’,
‘TIMESTAMP’ => ‘2020-03-09T19:48:27Z’,
‘CORRELATIONID’ => ‘da81736b559df’,
‘ACK’ => ‘Success’,
‘VERSION’ => ‘71.0’,
‘BUILD’ => ‘53816603’,
)

There are several of these right in a row, from different users.