Not redirecting to registration after returning from PayPal

Wonder if anyone could help with this PayPal - IPN issue.

Once a new subscriber has signed up via PayPal, they are redirected back to the s2Member grey screen, but not the registration form:

"Thank you! (you MUST check your email before proceeding).
_ Note: It can take (up to 15 minutes) for Email Confirmation with important details. If you don’t receive email confirmation in the next 15 minutes, please contact Support."_*

… It seems that PayPal is not notifying s2Member about the new subscription. I’ve checked the PayPal IPN notification and Auto return settings and can’t see a problem.

Here is a debug log from the last transaction:

I’d be very grateful for any ideas - it’s probably something very obvious!

Just to add that this doesn’t appear to be a caching plugin problem (I deactivated the plugin and tried again - I got the same result)

Hi,

Do you have security plugins?

Check if you have not activated the following types of protection or equivalent depending on the plugin used:

• Filter Suspicious Query Strings in the URL.
  • Filter Non-English Characters.
  • Filter Long URL Strings.
  • Disable PHP in Plugins.

There is an other possible problem if you use ModSecurity on your server…

You can try to add "success=“https://yoursite.com/yourthankyoupage/” in the s2member payment shortcode!

Thanks so much for the suggestion! There is currently no security plugin installed (although that is on my to-do list). Good idea about ModSecurity - I’ll check the server settings.

:slight_smile:

Modsecurity is enabled for the site… this could be the problem. I’ll let you know.
Thanks again

Hurray! We’re all sorted… Looks like it was the SSL plugin which needed an update (Really Simple SSL). I’ve just tested the subscription process and new subscribers are getting redirected back to the website with the following screen:

Thanks again for your help.

I’m happy that your problem is solved :slight_smile:

Hi Olly! I might be facing the similar issue now. The new subscriber is getting redirected to the same page as you reported:
"Thank you! (you MUST check your email before proceeding).
_ Note: It can take (up to 15 minutes) for Email Confirmation with important details. If you don’t receive email confirmation in the next 15 minutes, please contact Support."_ *

As a result when subscriber receives registration link via email and goes ahead with registration, they only registered as a Subscriber, not as s2Member level 1 as expected.
Did you observe the same behaviour?

Thank you,
Oleg

Hi Oleg,
That sounds like it was the case for me. The SSL plugin needed an update, which solved the problem. Hopefully it’s as simple as that for you?
Olly

Hi Olly,
You were lucky then :slight_smile:
Not a case for me. I have Really Simple SSL installed as well. So I have updated it to the latest version which is 5.3.0 for now and tested again. It did not work out. I deactivated plugin and ran the test again, it did not work either. So I’m stuck for now.
What happens is that I’ve never seen the page with Please Register Now (Click Here) button. That would be quite convenient for the new user that has purchased the product and has to be registered. When a user purchases product on my website they usually see the page with Back To Home Page button and then check for confirmation email and follow registration link from email. But lately that process does not work either. The user registers on WP with Subscriber role, not paid user role. And therefore does not receive access to the purchased product.

Do you have any ideas?
Thank you,
Oleg.

Hey Oleg,
I’ve reviewed my work logs from when I had the problem and can’t see anything that might help at the moment… sorry. Have you tried deactivating all other plugins and testing, just in case it’s another plugin conflict?

That would be quite a mess if I try to deactivate every plugin and test. Now you let me think about incompatibility between the recent versions of s2Member and other plugins. I filed a request to support a week ago, no answer so far…

Hi Oleg,
Yeah - I know what you mean… However, pretty much every problem I’ve experienced with s2member has resulted due to plugin conflicts of some type (especially caching and security plugins).
I hope you get a response soon.
Olly