New admins cannot access site

I have a membership with 80 odd members with no issues (at level 1), but I’ve added two new administrators and neither of them can sign in with their admin credentials. It goes to a white page that says

Sorry, you are not allowed to access this page.

However, they are actually signed in, as the address at the top is https://harveylakeland.com/wp-admin/, and if you delete the wp-admin part, you end up at the home page, and then can access the black WP menu across the top. But obviously, this isn’t the ideal way to access the site.

I have the up to date version of the free w2member and am up to date with all of my plugins. I’ve also tested this with all the plugins deactivated. I have had this issue with one other site before, and both had s2member. Has anyone had this issue before, or heard of this before? Does s2member alter anything so that new users can’t sign in as admins? It doesn’t seem to affect new Level 1 members at all.
Thankyou

s2Member does nothing to modify the access of admins. It modifies only subscriber and s2Member roles.

Your problem is caused by something else. Try clearing all caches, including browser and server caches, resave permalinks, and check for plugin conflicts, especially if you are using one that claims to offer security.

Thanks Tim,

This has been going on for a month now. So I’m sure the caches would be clear by now? And I am not blaming any plugin, it’s just coincidental that it is only the two sites that have s2member that I’ve had this issue on, so I’m trying to eliminate things. And I did say that I deactivated all plugins, created a new admin and the issue persisted. But I’ll try your other ideas. Thank you for answering.

That length of time doesn’t mean all caches have been cleared. And some plugins (especially security plugins) leave changes behind in the .htaccess file even after deactivated.

I loaded Health Check but even with the Twenty Seventeen theme and no plugins, I’m getting the same issue with the new Admin. I don’t know what else to try.

I don’t know what Health Check is.

Another possibility occurs to me. Do the new admins have more than one role?

No I don’t even know if they can have two roles. I made them use different email addresses though. I’m sorry, I thought you were the one that recommended the plugin Health Check. Apparently it checks for conflicts. But it didn’t find any. It’s very peculiar.

Mary, the only reliable way to check for conflicts is to deactivate all plugins except s2Member and change to a default theme. Then see if s2Member works as expected. If it does, there is a conflict with one of your other plugins or your theme.

WP enables every user to have multiple roles, but that doesn’t work with s2Member.

Sorry to be so long in replying, sometimes it’s hard to remember where you asked a question. I still have the same issue all this time later with that one client. (I had two but I stopped doing their site). I disabled all of my plugins and the new admin still have to go in that round about way. We are coping, but it is strange. Did anyone else have this issue? No one has multiple roles.

Hi Mary,

I really doubt that this would be related to s2Member.

I’ve seen that happen before with additional admin accounts, it doesn’t seem to be completely uncommon. See: https://www.google.com/search?q=wp+admin+sorry+you+are+not+allowed+to+access+this+page

I suggest that you go through some of those, you may find the solution you need.

I hope that helps! :slight_smile: