Migrating from HostGator to SiteGround and S2Member Broken

Just as the title states. I am trying to migrate from HostGator to SiteGround but S2Member doesn’t work on SiteGround after they migrated my WordPress site to their servers.

S2Member appears to not recognize that a user is signed in and therefore doesn’t display the appropriate content based on their subscription level.

I raised the issues with their customer service but they were unable to help and suggested I reach out to the developer. Prior to opening this thread, I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling S2Member (on the SiteGround version of my site) but that did not help.

How did you migrate the site? I use All-in-One WP Migration.

SiteGround customer service did the migration for me as part of purchasing their hosting. Not sure exactly what they did but there was a new plugin installed on my site. Don’t remember the name but the plugin you mentioned doesn’t look familiar.

I suggest you ask SiteGround what they used. I also suggest you try re-saving permalinks, and making sure all caching is turned off. If it still doesn’t work, you’ll need to explain more about what doesn’t work.

Please see below for their response.

My colleague used the Duplicator plugin to copy the website from the remote host to our server. I closely examined the actions done by my colleagues during the migration and am not able to see anything that could trigger the observed behavior.

They are suggesting I rebuild the site from scratch with a fresh WordPress install to see if that works. I tried re-saving the permalinks and turning off caching but that didn’t work.

So what is it that isn’t working?

I’m using S2Member short code conditionals to display different content to users based on their subscription level. However, once a user signs into the site, the content displayed always shows what I have flagged for Level 0 (free subscribers). This only happens on the SiteGround instance of my website. The live version of my site, on HostGator, works perfectly and displays the appropriate content based on the users’ subscription level.

Another issue, which may or may not be related, is that once a user signs in the menu at the top of the screen should change. For example, if a user is logged out, the menu shows the “Sign In” option. Then once the user actually signs in, the menu will hide the “Sign In” option and show the “Sign Out” option.

That’s the real issue here. It sounds like your site isn’t recognizing whether someone is logged in or not. That, in turn, sounds like a problem with WordPress nonces. Which, in turn, suggests a problem caused during the site migration. I suggest trying the plugin I mentioned earlier to perform the migration.

That did it! Thanks!

They remigrated using the plugin and the site worked right away.

1 Like