Members Not Being Upgraded

OK, so I have a website with a few signup options. I am using the PayPal buttons as I use my own page for displaying membership options. Everything works fine up until the point of the new user not being upgraded. Here is the process and how far it works on my site:

User click PayPal button
Redirected to PayPal for payment (payment is received by us)
User returns to site and registers
New user is a Subscriber instead of the role he just paid for.

I have tested with all plugins deactivated and on the default WordPress theme but it’s still the same. I have looked over all options, watched many videos and made sure 100% that my configuration is what it should be. I am receiving payments absolutely fine so that isn’t a problem.

Have you enabled logging and checked the logs to see what is and is not happening when someone registers? Are there any errors in those logs related to the PayPal transactions? Are the PayPal transactions being logged at all?

I’m afraid it is literally impossible for anyone to look at you’ve said in this email and tell you what’s wrong – it’s not that we don’t believe that your configuration is right, we just can’t tell you what’s going on without more information. The fact that you’ve tested in a clean environment is great, but if it still isn’t working in a clean environment then you need to take the further step of turning on logging. I would turn on logging and run a couple of test transactions and then turn off logging since this is a production site – there’ll be less chance that you’ll inadvertently collect anyone else’s credit card and other personal info in your logs and the logs will have the information you need to look at and not much else so the info will be easier to find.

Hi John.

Is the user already registered on your site before upgrading? From the way you described it, it sounds that way.

It’s very important that the user is logged into his account when he loads the page with the PayPal button, because that way the button will have a reference to his existing account, so the payment goes towards its upgrade.

If no account is referenced, as is the case when the visitor is not logged in when the page with the button is loaded, then the payment will go towards a new signup, and not an existing account.

It’s a good idea to have the upgrade form in a page protected at Level 0, so that only a logged in user can access it. Also good is a message in the regular payment page, saying that if he already has an account, to please log in first and then pay.

It sounds to me like the user is not logged in when he loads the page, pays, and after returning logs into his account and finds it wasn’t upgraded.

I’d check if he got a welcome email with a signup link, this would be the case for payments that go towards new signups instead of upgrades.

I’d also enable logging, as Pat suggested, to help troubleshoot until you’ve sorted it out.

I look forward to your update. :slight_smile:

1 Like