Login trouble after adding s2member again

Hi, the site in question is www.aboutwritingsquared.com
After a major crash which resulted in a lot of rebuilding for this membership site, I added S2Member again and am now having login trouble, and so are at least a few of my members.

I’ve confirmed that both the WordPress and site urls are set for https

Sometimes just restarting the browser makes it work as normal.
Sometimes choosing the"Forgotten your password" box will actually take me in.

Neither of these solutions work 100 percent of the time…

Everything’s updated.

Using WPforo as the forum they join… what do I try next?

Thanks!

Go to s2Member -> Restriction Options. That’s where the setting you need to change lives. My guess – and you have provided little info so it’s hard to know – is that you have enabled Unique IP Access Restrictions.

Don’t ever do that unless all your users only access your site from wired, desktop PCs, and nothing else.

Tim, as far as I know I haven’t touched Restriction Options.

Here’s a screenshot of what looks like the editable parts to me…

My apologies for not giving you enough information - not lack of willingness, simply I don’t know what you need or what would be helpful… I’m happy to tell you whatever but I think you have to assume I will need to be asked for specific info.

Thanks.

Anne,

That screenshot is very helpful. You have set a maximum of 5 different IPs. You need to change it to unlimited, and then save.

The problem is that this setting is from before the days when everyone used their phones or laptops to access the web. That means that we all use umpteen different IP addresses these days, which makes that setting counter-productive.

lol, I remember 300 baud and screeching modems… unfortunately that didn’t work. I did disable the plugin Limit Login Attempts Reloaded. That seemed to make no difference.

I have two logins, one as the admin and one as a subscriber and its the subscriber one that’s giving me problems. And a couple of other subscribers have also complained.

You know what I think it might be? All the subscribers, subscribed under a different membership plug in- wishlist, which I stupidly deleted. So I think my question has become how can I convert the existing membership to s2member without making them all start over, or can I? Argghhh! Does this make any sense to you Tim?

Thanks

Before this gets over-complicated, can you now just try clearing all caches, including your browser cache (or try with a different browser)?

Sure - cleared cache in firefox and on the second login clicking on the Forget your password? link let me in.
Cleared cache in Chrome, same behavior - both browsers are updated.

have sent email asking a tester to do the same… probably won’t hear from her till noon Pacific Time.

Thanks again Tim

Let me be more clear… in both cases the first long in didn’t work, just circled back to member log in page.
The second try clicking Forgot password link in both instances took me into the forum… weird but true.

confirmed the click on forget password works for others.

The problems I’m having have boiled down, I think, to two problems. Here’s the first and the one Tim was helping with… any other ideas how to cure this strangeness?

The first is the login issue. We, me and other members, find they can login successfully by entering their credentials and being returned to a login page, then trying a second time and clicking on the Forgotten password question/link - which brings them into the forum.

Will start a second topic for the second, getting members from WishList into S2member.

Thanks!

Can be a plugin or theme conflict, or abandoned/malicious code somewhere. You say you recover after crash, did you change all the code to “clean” fresh downloaded versions?