Login Redirection Breaks w/ bbPress Activated

Hello. After a ton of testing to be sure I was seeing what I was seeing, I found that as soon as I activate bbPress, the Login Redirection is no longer working as configured. My settings are listed below.

Login Welcome Page: /members/%%current_user_login%%/
Member Profile Modifications: Yes (redirect to Login Welcome Page…)

Thank you,
Ryan

I have s2Member installed on a couple of sites with bbPress and haven’t seen this issue.

Could you be more specific about what is happening? “no longer working as configured” could be anything.

Where are Members being redirected on login?

Are they able to access the back-end after activating bbPress?

Do you have any bbPress add-on plugins installed or just bbPress?

Any other plugins that affect the login in any way?

Be as specific as possible, please.

Hello. Sorry, I realized I left out some key info. You have my settings for S2Member. Here is some more info.

When S2Member and Buddypress are the only two plugins activate, everything works as expected. Meaning, users are redirected according to the S2Member settings.

As soon as I activate bbPress, users start redirecting to the Home page, rather than the Login Welcome Page.

I’m not using any 3rd party add-ons. S2Member, Buddypress and bbPress as their “base”.

I’m using the Enfold theme.

Thank you,
Ryan

Well, s2Member doesn’t do anything just because bbPress is activated. This problem belongs to bbPress. I don’t know why bbPress would be hijacking the login, but it looks like that is what is happening. I’d suggest you ask this question on the bbPress support forums.

1 Like

Okay, with bbPress removed, the issue is still present. I’m able to reproduce the issue 100% of the time. I have created 2, very short videos that show what’s happening.

Scenario - Redirection Not Working

1. Disable all plugins, except S2Member Pro and Buddypress
  2. Clear and disable all caching
  3. Clear browser cache and reload page
  4. Test Users > Within WP, log out everywhere
  5. Visit home page and click Log in, on the Buddypress ribbon
  6. User is redirected back to home page
  7. Log out Test User 1
  8. Go back to the home page and log in Test User 2
  9. Log in as Test User 2
  10. User is redirected back to home page

Supporting Video

Scenario - Redirection Working

1. Disable all plugins, except S2Member Pro and Buddypress
  2. Clear and disable all caching
  3. Clear browser cache and reload page
  4. Test Users > Within WP, log out everywhere
  5. Visit home page and click Log in, on the Buddypress ribbon
  6. User is redirected back to home page
  7. Log out Test User 1
  8. Rather than go back to the home page to log in, log in as Test User 2 right from the logout page
  9. BINGO!!! User is redirected to their Buddypress profile

Supporting Video

If you want to post videos, you need to put them somewhere where they can be viewed without having to be downloaded.

I am not saying that there’s malware in your files but, if expecting other forum participants to download files becomes the norm, then sooner or later one of those downloaded files will contain malware. Then people will be extremely reluctant to help.

Videos have been updated to not require a download.

In scenario 2, you used two different usernames, hence you got a different result.

Are you sure you’ve been checking s2Member roles?

Created new users “freeuser1” and “freeuser2”. Assigned S2 Member Level 1 to both.

The issue persists. This new video shows Scenario 1 and 2 combined, with those users.

Things are working here exactly as expected. Your initial attempt to login includes a parameter that specifies a redirect to the home page. Just look at the URL when you’re on the login page. So, when the user logs in, s/he is redirected to the home page.

When you logout, however, there is no such parameter. The URL just includes an argument that confirms that the user has been logged out. So when the user then attempts to login from there, the s2Member redirect does its job and redirects to the Login Welcome Page.

In future, make sure you test logging in with a URL that ends in just wp-login.php.

1 Like

Things are working great. Thanks guys!

1 Like