Is S2member up to date with TLS 1.2 standards?

Since paypal made a security update…TLS.1.2…I can’t use S2member because I only get errors on my payment checkout pages.

1 Like

I think this means…for anyone who is interested in buying s2member right now…it won’t work with paypal.

I have no idea whether it works with PayPal. I don’t use PayPal.

But I can say it works fine with Stripe, which also uses TLS 1.2, so I think you have misidentified the cause of your problem.

In fact, I think TLS compatibility is determined at server level, so isn’t something that s2Member controls.

Actually I hired 10 programmers to check out my problem and they all said that S2member is not up to date with TLS 1.2 so it is no longer compatiable with paypal…Most people use paypal as their payment processor so that means…they will buy a plugin that doesn’t work…

Do you have any future plans to fix this problem?

Me? I am just a user who, as I said, doesn’t use PayPal.

How do you contact s2member directly to get a response from them? I have emailed them about this problem and didn’t get a response…NOTHING!!

You need to add your problem to the issues on the s2Member Github site.

Okay I found it but I still don’t see what to comment…

I think I found it now…thx!

1 Like

Letting off steam here! don’t hold your breath for a response…the silence is defining from the s2member team…you think by now, they will express their intensions on how the plugin is going to evolve moving forward or not. Some here are criticizing wp for moving forward with Gutenberg, at least they let you know ahead where they are heading so one can choose to go with them or not but the s2member team is dead silent! Any way, I have started to edge my bet and evaluate other options! Otherwise, sudden death of s2member will be catastrophic!

I know…it is very disappointing!!! I have not got one response from them after making emails and even forum posts…radio silence!! I don’t expect a pro activity response from them at this time and I’m making alternative plans…

I’m usually last to defend s2member - because the job in supporting s2member without bugs has been mainly awful. However TLS 1.2 is no problem for me with paypal button payments. Not sure if there are probs with paypal pro/paypal express/paypal non button payments.
So at least running with nginx (and not PHP!) it’s fine. I’m pretty much about to switch to TLS 1.3 very soon - let’s see how that goes.

That does not change that about 1-5% of all paypal payments are lost by s2member - they are properly received as evidenced by the error logs of s2member - but s2member falsely decides to ignore them. Add that to improper handling of conflicts and returns and paypal implementation really needs to be overhauled. I’ve opened bugs with detailed logs for both this problems on github long time ago (still open - no useful replies by devs at all).
(add that to the awful s2member pro checkout UI and so on).

Now with Gutenberg s2member looks like it’s finally over.

It’s rather concerning to read this - I use Stripe with S2 nowadays, so haven’t had any problems with this yet, but you are right, I really would like to see the s2 team just come out and tell us if there is no further support for this plugin.

@raamdev did say that development was happening - although that was 5 months ago - and we have heard nothing since.

Could you please put us out of our misery if this is not the case Raam - so we can at least look at alternative options, before some kind of total failure?

I’ve been with s2 for 8 years now - and it’s been absolutely brilliant.

Still to this day it all works fine with my Stripe integration - nothing gets missed - it’s pretty flawless.

BUT… running a site of 3,000 members on it, makes a change of membership plugin look pretty darn scary to me.

If you could PLEASE let us know your plans either way - it would be VERY helpful.

Thanks.

Ross :slight_smile:

well as soon as there is a way to port over active Paypal subscriptions into another system - I would be out of here. But for me it’s the same - many many active subscriptions and thinks like cancelling a subscription and asking users to resubscribe is out of question.

I don’t count on any improvements to s2member anymore. Can only hope that they manage to keep it running with Stripe and paypal without adding even more problems. Or maybe hope it breaks completely - that way mabe a change solution will come up due to bigger number of people switching.
However I don’t think that many people with a decent amount of active subscriptions (>5000) are even still using s2member. If it’s a small number (<1000) manual porting over should not be too much of a hassle.

I receive payment through buttons but only for already existing members. It’s a very little site and I had no new member for monthes and I was wondering if it related to the problem described here.

I plan to search for an alternative to S2Member Pro and if someone has some suggestions…

(by the way, I met a problem on Comet Cache Pro and did not have any answer from Wpsharks)

Try this to see if it meets your needs - https://www.armemberplugin.com/ :

Thanks, I will have a look. I need a way to protect featured image and it was quite easy with functions provided by S2Member.

I have been reading this thread and another couple like it, and thought it might be fun just to try creating for myself a form to have people pay via Stripe to become members of one of my sites. It was ridiculously easy, and I have it using Stripe Elements rather than Stripe Checkout, so it’s just one form with no pop-up. The Stripe documentation is excellent.

It seems to me that most people here would be better served just getting a developer to create the bespoke form(s) they need, and then there is no need to switch plugins at all.